E-bay starting bid....$55,000.oo........

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

digphilly

Reaction score
yep dug a lot of old south jersey glass...never saw pieces like that. I too would like to see the example stardust has. simply for comparison.

OH SHIT...HERE COMES A DECK SWEEPER! FOOOOCK

bostaurus

Reaction score
Why would some one have a powder horn made of glass in the first place? Seems to me that the contents of your powder horn could save your life in colonial America...why put your powder in something so fragile?
How was it carried? In a pouch or was there just a strap on the neck? In the movies there is always a strap front and back to sling it over your shoulder and the movies are always right.. ;-)

Just Dig it

Reaction score
n the first place? Seems to me that the contents of your powder horn could save your life in colonial America...why put your powder in something so fragile?
How was it carried? In a pouch or was there just a strap on the neck?

I agree plus Couldnt glass get some kind of condensation on the inside if not properly sealed and wouldnt that be bad for the gun powder??....those battles were raw ..id hate to be the idiot running around the field with a neon green powder horn saying cant touch this...

RED Matthews

Reaction score
To bustaurus, I have had at least four different glass powder horns. They have been sold at our bottle shows and tailgate sales. This one is simmilar to one that was attributed to Wistarburgh, but this guy would need a lot of proof to get it to sell at this kind of money.
No one that was really into Wistarburgh glass - like Murschell, would be interested in this high falutin sucker seeking.
RED Matthews

Stardust

Reaction score
Chris,
I was teasing, I was referring to when Eric used to sell naval boarding weapons and we would watch and watch they would sell for big bucks some times and other times nothing at all.[:eek:]

Remember [8|] Eric, this reminded me of those? LOL [:D] Sorry [;)]
Good to see you back, remember you owe me some pictures. I got some for you.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Sewellbottleman,
I read your entire comment and I still think that what people wrote on here is pretty funny. You have to have a sense of humor (at least sometimes) or this would be a dry hobby. If the seller was serious about parting with it, they wouldn't list it like that. Plus, you did a better job describing the history than they did. Nonetheless, I doubt if anyone actually knows for certain if it is blown by Wistar or if it was blown in england (for example). We can all make educated guesses. However, all said and done, if you're going to put up a 55k starting bid with that description, you might deserve a little humor thrown at you.

Stardust

Reaction score
As always Steve, very interesting information from you. I AGREE you should have written the description. ALL RIGHT now any bets if this thing sells? [:D]

bostaurus

Reaction score
I personally had not thought about it being used during the Revolution. I was just thinking about everyday stuff like hunting or protection. I have broken so many bottles just in my safe, protected home. Crude roads, paths, horses, wagons, etc. would seem to make the chance of whacking it against something more probable. Whether it is what it is claimed to be is true or not is beyond my scope. I hope that it is a nice piece of American history.
Is it something that would be more for the use of a gentleman hunter or a person of importance that may not use it often? Was early glass like this very expensive at the time? Just curious.

appliedlips

Reaction score
Steve,Thanks for clarifying I was wondering about this one.Too many folks own a Kovel's book and look at ebay from time to time and are instant experts.I knew that one was pictured in American Glass so they were around in the 30's but wasn't sure if they had been copied like so many pieces were.Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause