E-bay starting bid....$55,000.oo........

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I heard back from the museum in question. They aren't real clear but here's what they wrote.

"The National Bottle Museum does not sell bottles. We have nothing on e-bay.
Can verify that such a flask exists because we had it on exhibit."

GuntherHess

Reaction score
My comment wasnt intended to make fun of the seller. I was only commenting that even assuming it was original $55,000 is an outrageous price for a bottle and I would rather spend it on other items. Not that I have anywhere close to that amount to spend on bottles.

Stardust

Reaction score
me too, anyone want it? it's also 1.00 off admission.
i have no ride.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I had it pegged as a figural, maybe whiskey, cognac, candy, etc., never doubted it was early glass, but figured the thin glass was a poor choice for carrying powder, banging around, comming into contact with steel whilst pouring powder, etc.
Also, the price is absurd for a listing on Ebay. Why is it not in a reputable glass auction?

glass man

Reaction score
A LOT OF COOL THINGS TO BE LEARNED OUT OF ALL THIS CONVERSATION! ME PERSONALLY,I LOVE HISTORY VERY MUCH,BUT THIS PIECE IS JUST NOT PRETTY OR A GREAT COLOR TO ME. MAN,FOR $55,000 OR $35,000 ,THERE ARE SO MANY GORGEOUS,COLORFUL AND ALSO HISTORICAL BOTTLES I COULD BUY. THANK YOU STEVE FOR ALL THE INFO YOU ADDED TO THIS BOTTLE! JAMIE

baltbottles

Reaction score
I will say it again I have dug quite a bit of 18th century glass and nothing of that form. But The color does look consistent with the Wistar chestnut I sold recently and other known pieces. Having been digging alot in New Jersey recently I have been very surprised with the number of chestnut bottles and pitkin type flasks that were produced there. It seems you can't dig an 18th century privy without finding pieces of them. If i had found a broken powder horn in context I would have no doubt to its age. But if I seen one in a shop I would be skeptical.

Now if only I could find an Amelung chestnut. Thats a piece I'd really like to have.

Chris

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello again, I sure learn a lot from this Forum. In the past I have had two different glass powder horns, bothe were mold cast with a patterned surface an eye for a rawhide cord and a groove at the small end for the cord to be tied. I have seen pictures of this big $ type of horn before. RED Matthews

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie