EARLIEST "CROWN TOP" SODA BOTTLES 1892 - 1900

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I came across the following information recently and thought I would add it here for a future reference. I have only skimmed the surface on it so far but intend to research it in more detail sometime in the future. It involves the possibility that the Robert Portner Brewing Company of Alexandria, Virginia (1868-1916) might have been the first bottler to use a Crown closure. And even though they primarily made beer, apparently they also made soda pop including Mayfield's Celery-Cola and High Grade Ginger Ale. As you might recall, the earliest confirmed crown closure so far is that by Murdock & Freeman bottle from 1895. If it fact a 1894 Portner Crown closure soda bottle can be found and confirmed, it will establish a new date of being the earliest known.

I have included several links for future reference

http://alexandriava.gov/uploadedFiles/historic/info/archaeology/ARSiteReportHistoryPortnerBrewingCoAX196.pdf

And on this link we find ...

http://livability.com/danville/va/attractions/explore-crossing-dan-danville-ky

"Robert Portner Brewing Company, which – due to Prohibition – became Celery Cola Bottling Company in 1931."

~ * ~

As I said, I haven't fully researched all of this yet, nor do I know the full histories of Mayfield's Celery-Cola or High Grade Ginger Ale, but I do feel there is ample evidence here that might be worth looking into, especially if the result is in finding a 1894 Crown closure soda bottle.

Bob

F29AEB6DCD834455AF7299D079384685.jpg

Attachments

• F29AEB6DCD834455AF7299D079384685.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 96

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
[ Mayfield's Celery-Cola Hutchinson bottle - Exact date unknown to me ]

082F16A5989D463A8C94EC06775FD821.jpg

Attachments

• 082F16A5989D463A8C94EC06775FD821.jpg
    082F16A5989D463A8C94EC06775FD821.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 101

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Another link for future reference ...

http://www.chosi.org/bottles/portner/portner.htm

Is there a Crown-top soda bottle hiding among the beer bottles? And if so, I wonder when it was made?

celerycola

Reaction score
As usual, Bob, you have taken things out of context and added your own meaning to create new "facts."

Trust me as someone who knows a bit about Celery-Cola (and owns the two items you picture) – you will not find facts to justify your hypothesis stated here.
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

I came across the following information recently and thought I would add it here for a future reference. I have only skimmed the surface on it so far but intend to research it in more detail sometime in the future. It involves the possibility that the Robert Portner Brewing Company of Alexandria, Virginia (1868-1916) might have been the first bottler to use a Crown closure. And even though they primarily made beer, apparently they also made soda pop including Mayfield's Celery-Cola and High Grade Ginger Ale. As you might recall, the earliest confirmed crown closure so far is that by Murdock & Freeman bottle from 1895. If it fact a 1894 Portner Crown closure soda bottle can be found and confirmed, it will establish a new date of being the earliest known.

I have included several links for future reference

http://alexandriava.gov/uploadedFiles/historic/info/archaeology/ARSiteReportHistoryPortnerBrewingCoAX196.pdf

And on this link we find ...

http://livability.com/danville/va/attractions/explore-crossing-dan-danville-ky

"Robert Portner Brewing Company, which – due to Prohibition – became Celery Cola Bottling Company in 1931."

~ * ~

As I said, I haven't fully researched all of this yet, nor do I know the full histories of Mayfield's Celery-Cola or High Grade Ginger Ale, but I do feel there is ample evidence here that might be worth looking into, especially if the result is in finding a 1894 Crown closure soda bottle.

Bob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Celery ~

Okay then, please tell us exactly when Celery-Cola first appeared in a Crown closure bottle. And please provide verification and not just an opinion.

Thanks.

Bob

celerycola

Reaction score
Bob, I'm not going to get into a shootout with you. You have been a doggedly persistent researcher and a great asset to this forum. I myself have learned a lot from your efforts and the combined comments of many on this forum. I don't know why you have shifted so far down a path of conspiracy theories that would make Oliver Stone blush. I miss the Old SodaPopBob and hope to see him back here soon.

Besides, I wouldn't want to spoil your fun in proving your theory.
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

Celery ~

Okay then, please tell us exactly when Celery-Cola first appeared in a Crown closure bottle. And please provide verification and not just an opinion.

Thanks.

Bob

epackage

Reaction score
From the Portner book....

Considering variations in size, color, labeling, lip finishes, closures, and manufacturers, there were easily 100 types of Portner bottles. They can be dated relatively easily; those that read "R. PORTNER" or "ROB. PORTNER" predate the firm's 1883 incorporation, but are unlikely to be older than the establishment of the brewery’s first depots in 1875-1876. A bottle with the “TIVOLI†trademark postdates 1877. The company began using the bottle cap in 1894-1895 but may not have switched to it entirely until 1901-1903, by which time the brewery’s depots and bottling operations were modernized and there was a large enough supply of the new crown-finish bottles from Alexandria manufacturers. Most of the company’s extant bottles are crown finish and date to the twentieth century, as do dateable, extant “Portner†bottle openers. The "HYGEIA" mineral water bottles appear to date to the 1890s, suggesting that the company may have discontinued such sales shortly after the turn of the century.

and this that Bob mentioned...

1894 The brewery begins using crown closures for bottling its “Tivoli-Hofbrau,†coinciding with its first use of paper labels. Lightning and Hutter porcelain stoppers remain in use as well for several years.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: celerycola

Bob, I'm not going to get into a shootout with you. You have been a doggedly persistent researcher and a great asset to this forum. I myself have learned a lot from your efforts and the combined comments of many on this forum. I don't know why you have shifted so far down a path of conspiracy theories that would make Oliver Stone blush. I miss the Old SodaPopBob and hope to see him back here soon.

Besides, I wouldn't want to spoil your fun in proving your theory.
celery ~

I guess its a case of certain members, including yourself, of often asking for specific facts when they themselves cannot produce them and then accuse me of posting misleading information. If facts were at our fingertips and easily found, then there would be no need for this forum where members come to seek help in determining various aspects of soda bottle collecting, including dates, values, etc. Please correct me if I am wrong, but your comments lead me to believe that you do not know when Mayfield's Celery-Cola first appeared in a Crown closure bottle. And if you don't know, then please just say so instead of putting the ball back in my court with unrelated topics. Surely you do not deny there is a connection of some kind between Robert Portner Brewing and Mayfield's Celery-Cola?

By the way, I wasn't the one who said ...

1894 - "The brewing company begins using Crown closures."

Nor am I certain if that information is correct - but I trust the individual who stated it enough to look into as a possible clue / lead that might develop into more accurate information and confirmation. No "conspiracy theories" on my part, but rather just a everyday bottle collector doing some research.

Bob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Jim / epackage ~

Thanks. Now that's what I call doing some research !!!

Bob

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jiharris