EARLY ROYAL CROWN GINGER ALE PAPER LABEL

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Side note ... Christian (Von) Valaer was the brother-in-law of Robert Portner of the Portner Brewing Company. In fact, C. Valaer Bottling Works was just as much involved, if not more so, with the distribution of Portner beer products as it was with the manufacture of various soda waters and soft drinks. Scroll back to Page 21 of this link and read through to Page 24
http://tinyurl.com/qd6d3af

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. The nickname "Queen City" might also be where Christian Valaer came up with the name ... Royal Crown

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
But where did Claud Hatcher come up with the name ... Royal Crown ?

iggyworf

Reaction score
So you think C Valaer came up with the name 'Royal Crown' first? Did C Hatcher come up with it on his own or did he know about C Valaer? I wouldn't have any clue as where to look, but were there any lawsuits brought up over the name 'Royal Crown'? I know I am posing more questions but no answers.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB said:
But where did Claud Hatcher come up with the name ... Royal Crown ?

Rich/iggy I'm not certain either where Christian Valaer and Claud Hatcher came up with the names. All we have to go on at the moment are the confirmed and somewhat confirmed dates when each of them first used the names commercially. Christian Valaer = 1902 = Confirmed with Patent and TestingClaud Hatcher = 1905 = Possibly a little earlier, but not confirmed Indicators are that Claud Hatcher did not begin experimenting in his basement until around 1903 at the earliest, followed by the establishment of the Union Bottling Works in 1905. All things considered, I'd say its more than likely that Christian Valaer came up with the name first. But where Claud Hatcher got the name and whether there is a connection between Valaer and Hatcher is the question of the day. I cannot find any lawsuits connected with this, but I can say with relative certainty the only actual use of the name "Royal Crown Ginger Ale" I can find by Christian Valaer are with the 1902 Patent and Testing. Other than those two vague references I cannot find anything to support that he ever actually produced or sold it. The words "Royal Crown Soda Water" in the 1902 ad I posted is a little vague and don't necessarily mean a type of soda pop. They might be referring to his earliest version of distilled/ozonated/mineral water. Regarding Queen Ginger Ale, I haven't looked for it's latest use, but it first appears in advertising around 1908-1909. And now for another curiosity. I wonder if there is any connection between this circa 1905 Union Bottling Works Royal Crown Ginger Ale label and this 1929 deco-style soda bottle? The images of the queen sure look similar to me!

Attachments

• 750684a83e544a9d8ba223a16cc7339f.jpg
    750684a83e544a9d8ba223a16cc7339f.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 69af77b2265b4884ace17fc99ed05f22.jpg
    69af77b2265b4884ace17fc99ed05f22.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 87

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
To clarify ... The image of the queen on the 1929 deco bottle is embossed and not a paper label.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here are the latest dates I can find for ... Queen Ginger Ale = 1922 Valaer Bottling = 1925

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
If Claud Hatcher was as aware of what was going on in the soft drink industry between 1900 and 1905 as I believe he was, I'd say it is reasonable to assume he was well aware of the existence of the C. Valaer Bottling Works. And because Hatcher's first beverage appears to have been a ginger ale, I also think it is reasonable to assume he was aware of most if not all of the various brands of ginger ale that were on the market during that same time period. After all, was he not determined to develop what he believed was the best tasting ginger ale ever produced? If my assumptions about Claud Hatcher being an astute experimenter are even close to being accurate, I have to believe he was well aware of C. Valaer's Royal Crown Ginger Ale before he developed his own brand by the same name. Hence, I honestly believe there is a connection as well as an explanation why Valaer's brand of ginger ale appeared and then disappeared at about the same time that Hatcher's brand entered the market place. I do not believe it was just a coincidence!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Additionally ... If Christian Valaer had a patent on Royal Crown Ginger Ale and intended to continue producing it when Claud Hatcher's brand of Royal Crown Ginger Ale hit the markets around 1904-05, then I have to believe Valaer would have challenged the name in court and force Hatcher to cease and desist the use of it. However, there is zero evidence to support that Valaer ever did this. But there is tons of evidence to support that Hatcher continued using the name for at least the next 35 years. We may never know the whole story, but I'm confident that Claud Hatcher's connection to the name Royal Crown Ginger Ale in circa 1905 was stronger than that of Christian Valaer. But whether or not Claud Hatcher bought the rights to the name from Christian Valaer remains the $64,000 question!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1