East Feliciana Parish

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bostaurus

Reaction score
I am not a digger though I have always wanted to give it a try. Just wanted to see if there are any folks digging in the Feliciana Parishes in Louisiana. My parents lived in St. Francisville and my husband's parents had a store in Jackson, Louisiana. The entire parish (county) is loaded with homes, shacks and plantations from the early to late 1800's. Homes from the 1830's-1870's are very common.
The first site was below St. Francisville and was called Bayou Sara. It was on the banks of the Mississippi. That area was abandoned because of flooding and the folks moved up on the hill into St. Francisville. I have been told that picking up bottles and jugs was easy there in the 40-50's. I don't think folks are allowed in the area now with our permission. That said it has been abandoned for generations and, if you are familiar with Louisiana, you know it is like a jungle now and the remote areas of that parish are known for large rattlers and moccasins, alligators and rumors of bears and panthers.
Another site I am curious about is Pickensville, Alabama. It was started in the early 1800's as a river boat stop. It was quite a busy town in it's time. It eventually died in the early 1900's ...I don't remember if it was because of the end of the riverboats or if the river changed course. Now there is only a few buildings left. Just curious.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2