Ebay and Paypal problem

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MNJars

Reaction score
Hi folks - this one is new to me so I thought I'd post the situation and ask for any advice from those with experience. I sold a jar on ebay 2 or 3 months ago. It was damaged (cracked), but I clearly described it as such and included a picture of the damage. The buyer paid less than a third of the value of the jar in good condition. The buyer's last name was the same as the embossing on the jar, so everything made sense to me. They paid promptly and I shipped promptly and well packaged. Tracking says it arrived 2 days later. A full month later (mid April) I received positive feedback from this buyer - a bit late, but better late than never I suppose. Last week Paypal took my money back from that transaction saying that the buyer had put a chargeback on the transaction with their credit card company. The only description I have is "unauthorized payment". I provided Paypal with the tracking number and informed them in the comment section of my rebuttal that I had received positive ebay feedback. Has anyone experienced something similar? In order to use my Paypal account before this is resolved, I need to pay the $36 back to Paypal and hope to be reimbursed the money. Paypal says it could take between 1 and 4 months to get a resolution, and it won't necessarily be in my favor, even though I did nothing wrong. This feels like stealing to me - they get my product for free, and I even had to pay to have it delivered to their door. I do have the person's Paypal email address and their name and address of course.

nhpharm

Reaction score
I had a similar situation where the buyer (of a nearly $3000 item) had a chargeback where their bank refused payment. Paypal had authorized shipment, item was shipped and signed for, etc. Paypal never asked for that money back...they warned me that if their investigation determined that I was at fault they would take the funds back but in the end (after only a couple of days) they found in my favor and there were no issues. The guy disappeared with a $3000 bottle and as far as I can tell Paypal ate the cost...one reason that although it pains me when Paypal takes those fees, I remember that overall they have also eaten several chargebacks. I am surprised that they are asking you to pay $36 back in...that isn't how they have dealt with me in the past...

nhpharm

Reaction score
I had a similar situation where the buyer (of a nearly $3000 item) had a chargeback where their bank refused payment. Paypal had authorized shipment, item was shipped and signed for, etc. Paypal never asked for that money back...they warned me that if their investigation determined that I was at fault they would take the funds back but in the end (after only a couple of days) they found in my favor and there were no issues. The guy disappeared with a $3000 bottle and as far as I can tell Paypal ate the cost...one reason that although it pains me when Paypal takes those fees, I remember that overall they have also eaten several chargebacks. I am surprised that they are asking you to pay $36 back in...that isn't how they have dealt with me in the past...

MNJars

Reaction score
I was surprised too. I normally keep a balance in my Paypal account, but it was very low at the time. The transaction in question was actually about $38. I must have had $2 in my account at the time so now it's at -$36. I tried to buy a $4 item on ebay and Paypal wants me to pay the $4 and the $36 since my account is negative. It's not that huge of a deal to me, but it really bugs me that someone either 1. made a very stupid mistake with their credit card company, or 2. is being intentionally fraudulent. I do know that sometimes paying with Paypal puts a strange line on your credit card bill that isn't immediately recognizable.

botlguy

Reaction score
In well over 1,000 ebay / PayPal transactions I have had only one inquiry and it was resolved very quickly in my favor. It was a simple case of the buyer jumping the gun and all the information was available just like in your case. Yours seems much more complicated and problematic. I would think that PayPal would want the results to be correct and fair, that's the best advertisement for their reputation. Please keep us informed how this turns out.

DeepDown

Reaction score
I've had cases like that before. Back in days when I was selling on there. Before it was Ebay account got highjacked by someone else... and seller would win most those cases. Not all.. (But ebay got better at stopping that, now days) Some times really did happen. Now Days with CC fraud happening lot more... it a little different. Every card has fraud protection.. and they do get scammed a lot now days. But if that Buyer does did have problem with his/hers ebay account too... Then You have a good shot losing that case. If ebay account wasn't effected. Then you have good shot winning it. --- Because of the feedback left. Odds are they really had their CC making false buying claims... and they just added the sale on with it (trying to get it knocked off too) or forgot they bought that then (mental error). And Pay Pal will work their bank figure out if it was true sale or not. --- You can watch his/her ebay account. Normally in past.. If that was effected too. it will show warning sign on it from ebay or even be taken off ebay or Changed user name... If any of that Happens --- You can assume you going to lose out on that one.. If doesn't, Then should have a strong chance of winning it... Just may take a little while.. That CC fraud happens more & more now... sure they working on many of cases. Odds are they really did have trouble with their CC... And they forgot what they bought or Trying to everything wiped out because of it... They'll usually figure what was true bought and what wasn't... Unless they getting lazier now days doing that... happening so much.. --- I just had my bank call me last month... They caught charges on it I didn't make... Before I did. I used my card so rare.. I shocked how anyone got the numbers... But they did... So I know it happening a lot.

MNJars

Reaction score
Ok - it appears that Paypal is moving the case forward. They are now "disputing the chargeback with the credit card company". They've credited the money back to my account, but I don't think the case is over with yet. I'm not sure what the next step is, but maybe it's all with Paypal and I'll never have to worry about it again. It doesn't show up as an open case in my account anymore.

nhpharm

Reaction score
I think you are out of the woods. If it isn't an open case on your side that means that Paypal found in your favor.

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen