Estate Sale

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

toddrandolph

Reaction score
It's the time of year when the sales are becoming few and far between, so when I saw an estate sale ad on craigs list not too far away I was all ready to go. The ad had all the elements of a good sale: parents estate, from out of town and must sell, no reasonable offer refused. Among the items listed was a bottle collection. I checked the local paper, no ad in there, and even the Akron paper, not there either, a good sign. So I arrived a little after 8, for the 9am listed starting time, thinking there wouldn't be many people there, but was dismayed to see the street lined with cars. The house seemed odd for an estate sale, with tires piled in front of the garage, a Bobcat on a trailer in the front yard, and piles of firewood everywhere, but since I already was there, I waited along with everyone else, dreaming of someone's dusty old bottle collection on the basement shelves full of good stuff but expecting the usual screw tops and ball perfect mason jars. The garage door opened at about 8:30 and immediately there was the sound of car doors slamming as a horde of bargain crazed yard sale shoppers and estate vultures descended upon the opening garage door. Someone yelled "where's the fishing stuff" (one of the listed items) before even reaching the garage, which held a dazed and confused homeowner who couldn't understand why his house was being surrounded by cars early on a Saturday morning.

My guess is someone played a practical joke, which I and everyone else unwittingly became a part of. Funny, but disappointing. Anyone else ever had this happen? No it wasn't a wrong address, there were only a few houses on the street.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Wow, I can understand your frustration. Ive never had that happen to me. However, I usually hit them when I can. I usually hit the rummages along my route and hit the estates later because its usually a mad house. Maybe you can hit another "good" one before the snow flies!

accountantadam

Reaction score
Now that is crazy. Never happened to me, although I have been to a few where they were totally unprepared for having a lot of people show up at the same time

KBbottles

Reaction score
WOW That is crazy!!! But what a great practical joke to play on someone.... Not so much a good joke for all the sale-hunters who got skunked. [8D]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4