Fake Citron Davis Vegetable Pain Killer?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
The color seems pretty correct to me.
If they coated it , they did a good job of faking real glass tinting.
The tint is deeper where the glass is thicker as expected.
Looks like they had just rinsed it off to me (maybe to mask some hazing)
As always I'll warn that photos are often misleading and you wont know the truth till its in your hand.

justanolddigger

Reaction score
it does look rinsed to me, a lot of non bottle people do that before listing, although, you just never know for sure. I collect common bottles in odd colors. Bought a Hemboldts in citron, it had some haze, so I tumbled it, and it turned out to be a common aqua, it had been treated somehow. The seller was pretty shocked, he had bought it at a bottle show on the east coast twenty years ago. This has obviously been going on a long time. That is why I am opposed to teaching people how to mask their bottles, it just tends to help the crooks out. I am now leary of buying bottles like the one listed, you just never know anymore.....Bill

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Color aside. I just don't like the look of it.The top, texture, sides and the base really make me wonder. The form should be in the area of at least getting things close to better than that but the bottom post looks the oddest. Shouldn't it be more centered?
I'm just glad I didn't win, I think I'd have regrets.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
if a bottle has been coated you can tell in two seconds once you have it in hand. An exacto knife will scrape the coating right off.

You should never bid on any bottle on fleabay unless the seller has a return policy or you know the seller.

JustGlass

Reaction score
Looks ok to me. I just saw a Dr. Perice in a colllectables shop in Northwood NH. and it was the same color and unaltered. I think these lime green colors do show up now and then but I would be more concerned if it were cobalt.

coolbottles

Reaction score
new to the forum but not to bottle collecting. I was the under bidder on this bottle and although 200+ $ is a lot of money to pay for a (davis) I believe this was a fair price for this bottle. As for the question of being altered I do not think so. The seller stated in the description this was a (dug bottle) that would explain the drip marks, it was from washing it out. As for color many common med,s come in un common colors but they are far and few between, and that was a vary un common color for that bottle! dr kilmers, dr pierces, dr seth arnolds, chamberlains all come in color runs of greens/citron and some even in amber.

probe buster

Reaction score
The easiest way to spot a coated bottle is to look through the the lower base glass from one side of the bottle or the other. If the bottle was aqua and coated on the outside, the color will appear off a bit at this thickest area of glass, usually with a bluish tint. If coated inside, the original color will be more obvious. Stained or coated clear bottles are a little tougher to detect, but a keen eye can spot them. Since there's a good view of the base area in the pic, I can say with a strong amount of certainty that this is an original, unaltered color.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
The easiest way to spot a coated bottle is to look through the the lower base glass from one side of the bottle or the other. If the bottle was aqua and coated on the outside, the color will appear off a bit at this thickest area of glass, usually with a bluish tint. If coated inside, the original color will be more obvious. Stained or coated clear bottles are a little tougher to detect, but a keen eye can spot them. Since there's a good view of the base area in the pic, I can say with a strong amount of certainty that this is an original, unaltered color.

yes good point. if it was coated on the inside you wouldnt see the color through the base glass like this example shows.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2