February Philly digging Extravaganza

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pjritter

Reaction score
Friday afternoon seemed like a good time to drive from NYC to Philly to beat traffic. I picked up Toby and Tim in Brooklyn around 1230pm. We made good time and got to Philly around 3pm. We quickly assessed the city for obvious pits by driving around. Grabbed lots of beer and went to digger George's place. We all drank and discussed many philosophies on the subject of finding. Saturday morning was the first day of digging. Geo took us to a site where we immediately started digging two brick liners filled with ash. they did not produce much except for a hutch and a 1906 pa license plate. We also dug a shallow wood barrel that was very unproductive. We began to dig a large brick liner around 3 pm. We covered it up and returned to beer and discussion. Sunday took all day. The privy was not only wide but very deep and laden with a wonderful use layer. The aroma of the use layer was absolutely amazing. The methane smelling use layer dated 1850-1865. John (PhilaJDH) stopped by to sort through artifacts and fill in later. Many bottles were found. Among the artifacts recovered and rescued were a violin and 3 leather whips. No pictures of the violin yet because it is being submerged and preserved right now. Please enjoy the pictures of the digs and finds...a great time was had by all.

a2e1bcf6.jpg

8d7cfb80.jpg

900e6f78.jpg

5091bab8.jpg

ec943cf2.jpg

083b83ab.jpg

444b05ef.jpg

73f2816b.jpg

3ffe8a91.jpg

dd462f27.jpg

d613a236.jpg

45a1b02a.jpg

98ec1243.jpg

180b3c67.jpg

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Oh... My God. Those are some once in a lifetime finds, and you dug them all in one privy! Better retire from digging now, leave some of those for the rest of us!

Was that guy in the front in the first pic at the South River show? I swear I sold a couple bottles to a guy from Brooklyn, or thereabouts, that looked just like him. Seemed like a really cool dude.

RedGinger

Reaction score
By George's facial expressions, you'd think he'd never seen a bottle before.[:D]

THE BADGER

Reaction score
NOW THATS WHAT I LIKE TO SEE COMING OUT OF THE PITS,KEEP UM COMING.GOOD JOB GUYS AND GOOD LUCK WITH THE NEXT ONES. BADGER

THE BADGER

Reaction score
HEY GEORGE WHY DIDNT YOU TELL US YOU FOUND E.T.'S FINGER.HAHA THATS SOME COOL -HIT YOU GUYS FOUND.NICEEE BADGER

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26