Finding Insulators

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JohnK16

Reaction score
I went for a bike ride on a trail that was built over train tracks. I saw several telegraph poles, however they didn't have anything on them. Even the ones that would require climbing up the pole were empty. I searched the area around the poles and also found nothing. Am I looking in the wrong place. How and where would one find insulators?
John

epackage

Reaction score
Sounds like someone beat you to it is all, keep your eyes peeld for more poles...Jim

Inkman

Reaction score
Usually what lineman did when they took out a line was to remove the pole and throw the insulators in the pole hole. Sometimes if the pole was damaged or rotten and they could not use it again, they left it and threw the insulators in the hole of another pole. When you find a pole, there's a certain distance you can measure out to find where the next one was. Unfortunately, I can't remember the distance, but I could probably ask someone and find out if you would like. When there isn't a pole that the lineman left for reference, you have to metal detect to find traces of a tie wire, and then dig a huge hole until you start finding insulators. Then you can just measure out the next pole. The pole holes were approximately six feet deep, so most of the insulators are down in the ground about five to six feet. It is really hard to find insulators when they're buried, so it is best to know what type of insulators were used on the line before hand so you can decide whether the insulators warrant the work load or not. Most poles used atleast 6 insulators and at most 40 insulators. Don't forget to consider that more than half are damaged because they were dropped six feet. The process is a lot of work, but it could pay off if the rail line used the right insulators.

Inkman

Reaction score
I noticed that you live in RI. Is the line you mentioned the one that goes through Coventry, RI?

splante

Reaction score
for such a small state a lot of rhode islanders on here,

JohnK16

Reaction score
Thanks for the information! Yes, the line I went on today passes through Coventry and into Connecticut. I believe it was the Providence Hartford line.

madman

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Inkman

Usually what lineman did when they took out a line was to remove the pole and throw the insulators in the pole hole. Sometimes if the pole was damaged or rotten and they could not use it again, they left it and threw the insulators in the hole of another pole. When you find a pole, there's a certain distance you can measure out to find where the next one was. Unfortunately, I can't remember the distance, but I could probably ask someone and find out if you would like. When there isn't a pole that the lineman left for reference, you have to metal detect to find traces of a tie wire, and then dig a huge hole until you start finding insulators. Then you can just measure out the next pole. The pole holes were approximately six feet deep, so most of the insulators are down in the ground about five to six feet. It is really hard to find insulators when they're buried, so it is best to know what type of insulators were used on the line before hand so you can decide whether the insulators warrant the work load or not. Most poles used atleast 6 insulators and at most 40 insulators. Don't forget to consider that more than half are damaged because they were dropped six feet. The process is a lot of work, but it could pay off if the rail line used the right insulators.
that is some great information!

Inkman

Reaction score
My Grandma lives in Coventry, so I go through there quite a bit. The line was a major line used for many years, so I would expect that the poles had many insulators on them, and the poles were replaced at least once before the line was abandoned and the poles were removed for a final time. That means the older insulators and the newer insulators are in the pole holes, probably quite a large number of pieces too. It would probably be a line that is worth digging. If you do decide to dig, post some pictures of your finds on the forum and I (and some other insulator collectors on here) can help you identify them. Then I'd know whether it would be worth hunting another section of the line or not!

surfaceone

Reaction score
You mean it's not an Island?

rhodeIsland1967.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward