Finds after 9 days of rain

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

elmoleaf

Reaction score
On Sunday, the sun finally returned. The bottom of the dump was flooded and the bottom of my hole was soupy. A couple corked bottles actually floated up to the top as I poked around.
I'm lucky I didn't break the olive oil bottle. It was at the back of a deep hole I'd cut in the side of the hill and only the neck was visible. I was hooking it in the neck with my long handled rake to dislodge it. It was loose enough to wiggle freely, but wouldn't pop out. I finally scratched out enough around the neck to get it free. When I saw the big onion shaped bottom emerge, I finally understood why it'd been stuck in the ash.
Here are some of my finds (uncleaned):

Pn36613.jpg

Attachments

• Pn36613.jpg
    Pn36613.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 64

madman

Reaction score
hey elmo nice finds!! looks like you have a nice dump, i like the meds, the olive oil bottle is nice, its amazing how some of these bottles survive hope it drys up for you mike

Caretaker maine

Reaction score
Sean, nice stuff, we have gotton alot of rain up here, but you guys got nailed down there, there are two size to that ss olive oil, they turn purple in the sun too

Pn36023.jpg

Attachments

• Pn36023.jpg
    Pn36023.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 61

elmoleaf

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.
Not sure on date...came from a mid-1920s dump. So far, most stuff from the dump is circa 1900-1920s.

WhiteLighting

Reaction score
the grave marker should be givin to the local muesum,or if you know where the grave is you whould place it back.....i wouldnt want anyone destroying or taking the last thing to say i was on the earth....,...but cool find....lol

elmoleaf

Reaction score
It's not really a grave marker. It's a fraternal membership marker that'd be placed at a grave stone, much like the VFW places flag holder plaques at the graves of veterans. In this case, it denotes membership in the Ancient Order of Hibernians.

It was disposed of in the dump approximately 80 years ago. I've now found three of them, all damaged. I have no idea why they were discarded. They could've been replaced 80 years ago with new plaques. They could've been removed and discarded because they were old, damaged & in the way of lawn mowers.

For now, I'll clean them with electrolysis sometime this winter. As I'm interested in local history, I'll likely do some research into the AOH's activities here in town 100 odd years ago.

littlebit56

Reaction score
Elmo, Hibernians sounds like something from here in Louisiana, but maybe they're from all over... Are you from Louisiana? Great finds wherever you dug them.

littlebit56

Bluebelle

Reaction score
Nice finds!

More info about the Ancient Order of Hibernians at http://www.aoh.com

Are you near New Orleans? Apparently, NO was the second largest embarcation point for Irish fleeing the great famine in mid 1800's. There are AOH chapters all over the eastern US.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229