First dig of the year....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

drjhostetters

Reaction score
Well people...

The little woman and I got to go to our first dig last Sunday...a 'three holer" last used in 1958 (we hope)...looking for silver coins more than old bottles ...but you never know...it is on the site of an old sawmill that opened in the 1940's and closed in 1958 and burnt to the ground in 1959..(hummm...coincidence?...friction fire maybe? The insurance papers rubbed up against the mortage payment????) Any way we got a late start and only got down about three feet or so...nothing but an old "Prince Albert" tobacco can, and a Heildelberg beer bottle..broken (I think I did it with my little shovel..oops)...wifey got tired and started posey picking...so I closed the hole up with a piece of tin roofing and some planks for another day...(which brings up the question...How do you guys (or gals) deal with those monstrurous deep holes you dig in your privy diggings? You can't fill them back in and then dig them up again can you? Seems like a lot of work..????) Any way we took our metal detector across the road to the old townsite of Pondosa, Or., just private land now..and the few remaining foundations where the houses used to stand...and spent an hour or so "coin shooting"..only found 1 coin..not too old but the find was worth it just for the fun of it...a 1952 "wheatstraw" penny. Not much else but talked to the owner (a friend) and he filled me in on a few more details of the town site and where the dump was located and I have permission to explore it...so there is still a little sunshine on the horizon.

Maybe I will have more exciting news next time but Spring is trying to get here and I'm waiting for the mountain snows to melt so I can get up to an old mining ghost town that a friend turned me on to...

Good hunting my friends...[:)]

Maine Digger

Reaction score
So Dr J, You found Prince Albert in the 'Can', a little decorum was in order don't you think? You could have given him some privacy[;)] From most of the privy articles I've read, it seems these guys dig & fill in one day most of the times. Now those 20 - footers, I don't know[8|]. I suspect you would need to carefully cover any opened privy if left unattended.

Larisa W.

Reaction score
Hi there Doctor!!

I was just wondering if you are from Oregon??

I am, and looking to find others here!

Where are you located?

I am fairly new to digging, but would love to do more!

Larisa W.

drjhostetters

Reaction score
yup..me from the Great State of Oregon...pronounced OR-GUN to you furriners over there on the Eastern Seaboard..(you haven't seen anything until you see the sun slowly sinking into the Pacific Ocean from one of our beautiful beaches!..and actually it isn't really sinking or setting..the Earth is rotating away from the Sun and that gives it the appearance of setting...one of the fallicies and lies we grew up with and still pass on to our children..for shame!)

I left you a post in the Collectors chat room earlier..I just saw this while surfin'...

Welcome to this site...there are some beautiful bottles and relics on display here and a great bunch of helpful, knowledgable ( except the ones who can't spell KNOWLEGABLE!), willing to help in anyway they can...are you looking for any special thing or bottle or topic or???? I saw your ques about clubs...we may have to start one... haven't heard of one but then I'm kinda new to this site myself....

How big is your collection? Can you post any pics? I tried..but I'm putor stupid and have trouble finding the "on" button on my putor...

Again welcome...The Doc...[X(]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28