First Poison of the Year

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mainepontil

Reaction score
So I went out a few days ago into the frozen tundra. The site is a solid 1920-1950's dump, not something I would dig in the summer. I figured it would be fun to smash into it in the winter, maybe get a few milks or Cokes.

hole.jpg

So after about 10 minutes with the sledge hammer I broke through the 15" frozen layer into a sand cap. It was three more feet down to the trash layer which was mostly smashed and still kind of stinky. I was just about to call it quits when this rolled out...

owl.jpg

owl2.jpg

SWEET.......an Owl Drug Poison in mint condition. That made my day !!!!!

I continued digging for another hour or so with nothing else worth talking about, then decided to call it a day.

This dump is HUGE and undug. I have know about it for 20 years but never have given it much of a chance because it is so new. Once spring comes I'm going to open up a huge trench to get a better read on it. There are 1700's houses in the area so there is definately potential. I'll keep everyone posted.

Joel

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
HI Joel,
man, that is a nice Owl. I dont know Owl drugs that well, but I didn't know they had the word Poison written like that on the back. Is it an odd one? Either way, nice dig!

I guess I"m not the only one who digs those newer dumps in the cold weather while the stinkies are low. You have to be pretty driven to dig those dumps, but sometimes they really pay off. Digging through the mayonaise jars, and the bottles with contents still in them, nylon stockings etc ewwww.

Still, as I sit here in my office I can see bottles I've pulled out of the gooey 1930's trash piles over the years, a Carters cloverleaf ink ( 2 of them ), a cobalt abm poison with the skull and stars on the side, a couple of cornflower blue Lightning jars, and even a pontilled Bogle's Hyperion Fluid for the Hair, a late throw that was 50 years older than everything else in the dump.

I hope to get out and dig in the next day or two before the ground freezes up again.

Bram

madman

Reaction score
hey joel great find!!! congrats mike

dirtflicker

Reaction score
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET JOEL!!!!!!! Ya just never know what will turn up man!!!

portland med. man

Reaction score
nice little poison looks like will be pounding that dump for awhile we both know there`s some keepers in there and dont forget ye olde throw backs.......

Caretaker maine

Reaction score
nice dig Joel, specially for this time of the year, can't believe the ground in the woods is not frozen yet, been MDing this winter, those new dump might have some surprizes, hope there's something good in the one your digging

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85