First Real digging experience

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

NHkeith

Reaction score
So a buddy of mine has permission to dig a dump site at an older farm house. The dump is HUGE. its along a stone wall, about 20x20 or bigger.

So learning lesson number one: "wear boots with solid soles"
from the truck to the site, I stepped on a bottle that was broken and face up, it cut up through my shoe, and into my foot. 1/4 inch puncture. My friend is a dad of two kids (age 3 and 6). so he had medicated wipes, and band aids in his truck.

The dump is fairly modern at the top level. Many of the License plates are dated 1950s and 1940s. we found some ok stuff to take home. (again not OLD) but cool. a few amber bottles with horses embossed, and they had a white horse painted on the bottle. Martini stirring device, License plates that still had good color and were readable.

My mom tole paints bottles and sells them at craft fairs through out the winter, so I took out 10 small to medium undamaged/unembossed bottles for her to paint.

we found a decent spot to dig, and we found a True's elixir. a few sawyers bluing, and a couple unembossed Meds from the TOC. This site is huge, and most stuff is modern. but I believe there may be some good stuff there.

Here are a couple photos.
1236881_10201825880545995_750349689_n.jpg

578007_10201825882306039_1843733054_n.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
I've found dumps like that before , there almost a pain to dig cause there is so much stuff and easy to accidently get cut cause there is so much broken glass everywhere . i'd recommend trying to remove some of the modern bottles maybe if there is anywhere to put them near the dump or glass recycling available in your area i'd try and take a load of the junk bottles there maybe so you can dig more easily .

TJSJHART

Reaction score
THAT WAS MY FIRST THOUGHT WHEN I SAW YOUR PICS TAKE A FEW LOADS OF UNWANTED BOTTLE TO BE RECYCLED..LITTLE EXTRA MONEY AND GET THE UNWANTED GLASS OUT OF YOUR SITE . LOTS OF WORK BUT EXTRA MONEY AND A SAFER DIG . GOOD LUCK.

ScottBSA

Reaction score
Looks like they were real drinkers.

Scott

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Take them to recycling? By the time you do that you would be to tired to dig! [8D] If you really want to dig there,move a bunch of the top stuff out of the way and do a "test hole" dig until you see a change. But in my opinion those dumps are to new and most likely will not get old enough to be worth it. Un less you like 1940s and 50s stuff.[:D]

hemihampton

Reaction score
I'd be Interested in any old rusty dented Beer Cans you may find. LEON.

NHkeith

Reaction score
the cobalt bottles always sell at the flea market for a few bucks, and I sold a few Caldwell amber bottles (both sizes).

there were a few green colored bottles, a couple milk bottles.

I know my buddy got a few nice oil cans that weren't rusted out.
ya its not pontil age rare stuff but its kinda fun for a beginner.

Yes I will keep my eye out for old metal beer cans Leon...

yes lots of hard booze bottles... lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen