Fisch's Bitter 3 Inch Aqua Blue

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

angemarie

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a bottle like this exists that was not reproduced or made by Wheaton? I have this bottle, but the bottom does not have any writing. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Angela

whiskeyman

Reaction score
ANGELA...Welcome to the forum.
The earlier Taiwan repos had paper labels which could be removed...they also had thick/heavy seams at the lip/mouth...

The only other case I have seen, and it was recently...of a plain base fish bitters is this eBay auction that just ended a few days ago: The fish though, also was lacking the Fischs Bitters embossing...
http://cgi.ebay.com/EXTREMLY-RARE-FISH-BITTERS-SALESMAN-SAMPLER_W0QQitemZ6214690794QQcategoryZ890QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also: does yours say Fisch's Bitter ??? Or is that a typo?

Can you post a pic or two?

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Hi whiskeyman,

That one posted on ebay as a possible salesmans sample of Fisch's Bitters is not correct. I have an identical one with the original salesman's lable on the flat side. It was Ely Lilly Cod Liver Oil salesmans sample to show what the pint cod liver oil bottles looked like. The bottle was too small to be produced by ABM so was blown in mold with rolled lip. The pint Fish shaped Cod Liver Oils I think date in the early 1930's so the salesman's samples were probably made just prior to that. Got a pretty good price for that one on ebay. Here are pictures to show the one in my miniature collection. I also have the Pint and Halfpint size Fish to go with it. I must have missed that one on ebay.

Cliff

Ca81144.jpg

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
In 1922 Eli Lilly and Company started using the blown in a mold fish bottle for Cod Liver Oil and continued the use of the bottle until 1933 . These bottles were manufactured by the Fairmount Glass Co. of Indy. The bottles were produced in four different sizes : 10" long ( one pint )
8 1/2" long ( one-half pint )
6 1/4" long ( 4 oz. )
3" long Salesman's bottle ..... Which was never filled but used as an empty sample.
Brian

angemarie

Reaction score
Thanks all! I am working on getting some pictures posted. Cliff- my bottle looks like your mini, but it is Aqua Blue in color and does not have the paper on the bottom. It's got a some dirt inside, which makes me think it was a dug bottle.

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Hi angemarie,

Sounds interesting, I would like to see a picture. Does it look like it was made from this same mold ? The one I got a friend picked up at a yard sale in Florida. I had asked him to watch for miniatures for me while he was on vacation there for the winter.

angemarie

Reaction score
It does.. but does your have Fisch's on one side and bitters on the other (around the gills)? I'll try to get a pic asap. (I haven't graduated to digital yet)

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Mine is identical to the one that sold on ebay for $350 except mine has the original paper lable. There is no other embossing on it. The original Dr Fisch's Bitters are amber and 11 1/2 in tall, fish shaped. I have never seen any reference to an aqua bottle in any size. Wheaton did make a lot of bitters miniature bottles and other companies overseas made them as well but usually in showy colors. Try to get a picture if it is the real deal it could be quite valuable.

Cliff

whiskeyman

Reaction score
CLIFF...neat l'il fish bottle...glad ta know what it is/was. I thought the one on eBay looked more like the Lilly, but didn't pay it much heed...Just a glance and I was gone...

ANGEMARIE...a pic would help a lot. Any seams at the mouth area? Hope you have a "goodie."

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter