Fitch Bottle Date

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
When I first found my fitch bottle I couldn't find any info on it. Now it seems that there is more and more info coming to light. Does anyone know what med. they specilized in or a list of their products? Is there any rare or scarce fitch bottles? I love that paper label. Swizzle

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Dr S S Fitch was apparently a pretty famous medical personality. he did a lot of lecturing and wrote several books and other publications.
Like many quack doctors he put out an almanac... Dr. S.S. Fitch's Almanac and Guide to Invalids.

Here is some other info on him I found...

1st. Dr. S. S. FITCH'S SIX LECTURES on the Causes, Prevention, and cure of Lung, Bronchial, and Skin Diseases; and Male and Female Complaints. On the mode of Preserving Health to a Hundred Years. 360 pages, 21 engravings. Price, 50 cents.
2d. Dr. S. S. FITCH'S new work on Heart Disease, Apoplexy, Palsy, Rheumatism, Dyspepsia, Dysentery, Cholera Infantum, Summer Diarrhoea of Children, Cholera and Cholera Morbus, Bilious Cholic, Costiveness, Diptheria, Sore Throats, Scarlet Fever, Yellow Fever, and the diseases of old people, with many valuable Medical Prescriptions for these diseases. 168 pages, 6 engravings. Price, 50 cents. Say which book you will have, giving Name, State, County, and Post Office.
Address, Dr. S. S. FITCH, 714 Broadway.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: JOETHECROW

To: GuntherHess (and all the rest...) although I've no easy way to post pics, I'll give an accurate description..My Fitch is shaped diff. than either example above...aprox. 5 3/4" tall...crude whittled aquamarine in color. The aproximate shape of a warners safe cure...Embossing (vertical) reads "Dr. S.S. FITCH (1st line) 707 B.WAY, N.Y....but NO pontil scar. Hope that helps, Joe

Interesting, sounds like one made in the mid to late 1860s.

swizzle

Reaction score
I just noticed on the paper label that it says "Humor Corrector". LMAO is that to cure someone with a "sick" sence of humor? Swizzle

jwschaeffer

Reaction score
Is it possible that this bottle has been reproduced??? Here is a pic of one I seen for sale....it is identical to the pic posted by Matt/Guntherhess....including the missing part of the label...but no chip. I realize this is not a rare bottle but it seems really weird to be almost identical. Maybe I am just crazy, John

Attachments

• 18E3140ED67C43EF977945924F000FA3.jpg
    18E3140ED67C43EF977945924F000FA3.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 74

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I would say its very unlikely that the bottle is a reproduction but paper labels are always suspect in my book.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the deal is, may be totally legit. There is a seller selling several labeled pontil bottles on ebay. I dont know the seller but I have seen them buying and selling high end stuff before.
Here is one of the bottles thats seems a tad bit odd to me.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Label-open-pontil-Dr-Duhalds-Compound-Sarsaparilla_W0QQitemZ320058846672QQihZ011QQcategoryZ895QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
There is also the Fitch bottle that I have seen sold before or label exactly like it.
Anyone know this seller?

jwschaeffer

Reaction score
If the fitch is legit, I mean if the label is legit, it is a really nice bottle.(one I would like to own). The Cherry ...bottle seems a little fishy...because of the story. Why give such a story if you are a bottle collector. I think there is a chance he has made labels and made them look old! But I am no expert! Just a skeptic.........John

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Old labels really need to be examined up close, its hard to tell anything from a photo. In general, flag goes up for me any time I see a group of pontil bottles with similar looking labels, unembossed pontil bottles with labels, or 150 year old dirty bottles with really nice looking labels. The seller seems legit as far as I can tell so I cant make any conclusions at this point.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973