Florida Patent Medicines - post what you know...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

stumpknocker

Reaction score
Matt I’m not in fact sure who made the pain ease but I was suspect it was Thomas’s father Joseph Otto due to the fact it is a sunken panel type bottle. According to the research I have done on this doctor since I acquired the bottle at the last Jacksonville FL bottle show. Joseph Otto, a German immigrant, established the J. Otto & Son sometime in the late 19th Century. In the 1890’s the store was taken over by Thomas O. Otto upon the death of his father. At the time it was located at 113 West Duval Street. In 1906 Otto was listed at the Southwest corner of Eaton and Simonton and the Northwest corner of Margaret and Fleming. In 1911 he was shown only at the latter address and was unlisted during the 1914, or anytime thereafter. Thanks, SK

Conch times

Reaction score
This is a j. Otto and son bottle, pic is not very good. Btw this is the small size, we found all three sizes they made. This is the only one I found.

5699a7cf.jpg

b5c9fbcd.jpg

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I read something that said the first Dr Otto came to key west just after the civil war so they were there quite early.

stumpknocker

Reaction score
Yes Matt you’re correct the “OTTO’S PAIN EASE†bottle in one of the earliest known druggist bottles from Key West FL. However I have found at least three other doctors that were in business prior to Joseph Otto therefore even though he was early to Key West FL he was certainly not the first. Thanks, SK

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter