Found an interesting bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

krux

Reaction score
I admittedly don't collect bottles but I found an interesting one today at a local corner grocery that may have peeked my interest. I was hoping someone can tell me if its worth hanging on to or what type of value if any might be associated with what I have. As I literally have no knowledge as bottle collecting I apologize if this question is a waste of your time.

Anyway, what I found was a glass bottle of Big Red soda. What's different about it is its cap. It is a brown A&W Root Beer cap. I assume since both the beverages are made at the same company, this guy got a wrong hat. Anyway, it's unopened. I saw it and bought another regular Big Red bottle and thought "Man, I'll be mad if I google that when I get home and find out its worth something." So I bought the defect bottle too. I figured worse case I'm out an extra dollar and have a frosty beverage to enjoy LOL

I know defects on things like money can be valuable but not sure if that applies here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

flasherr

Reaction score
No value other than the soda itself. I have thousands of caps and can put what ever cap i want on any bottle. people will do this and put a coke cap on pepsi bottle then say its so rare and put a high price on it. i would say drink the soda and toss the bottle some where and go back get it in 20+ years. i hope this will get you interested in collecting bottles as it is a an interesting and addicting hobby filled with tons of history of the common man.

krux

Reaction score
thanks for the quick reply. I figured as much but I wasn't willing to live with the guilt of leaving that behind and google telling me I passed on something valuable. Heck a chicken nugget that looked like George Washington went on ebay for 15k last week lol

I actually have been browsing the forums while I waited for a reply. I like the history aspect behind it and am definitely intrigued. It reminds me of my archaeology professor telling us a story about the time he found a shipwreck in Crete. They dove to the bottom and found these giant barrels, brought them to the surface and dated them back to the Byzantine Empire. He said they drilled a small hole in the barrels and were so excited to taste this centuries old wine that they knew they found. All of them poured a glass and drank at the same time. SPLAT! It wasn't wine! It was fish oil!

I guess Big Red is my fish oil haha I'm going to start paying attention though, I live in Louisville so Bourbon County could be a great start to a collection!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I love those scratch jugs from the hills of old Ky.. [:)]

surfaceone

Reaction score
129068820-09100754.jpg

"By Rene Lynch
March 9, 2012, 12:35 p.m.
A Chicken McNugget bearing a striking resemblance to founding father George Washington is still on the auction block and can be yours -- assuming you have about $8,000 lying around.

Rebekah Speight of Dakota City, Neb., made headlines this week when she nearly sold the McDonald's favorite for $8,100 on Ebay. But the winning bidder -- who is either a devoted fan of the country's first president, a devotee of chicken McNuggets, or both -- chickened out.

Perhaps more surprising? Speight's gambit has cast a spotlight on plenty of other McNuggets being sold on Ebay (some borderline prankish, and many drafting on the George Washington buzz). How about a McNugget that supposedly looks like Mozart? Or Santa Claus? Jay Leno? Elvis? The Easter Bunny? And this slam at Chelsea Handler.

Speight is disappointed at the turn of events because she planned to use the money from the auction to send 50 children to a church summer camp.

She told the Sioux City Journal that she noticed the startling resemblance between the McNugget and George Washington when she was clearing up after her kids' meal. She had a hunch that it might be worth something. So she carefully wrapped it up and tucked it into her freezer. By the way, this was three years ago.

She later decided to put the McNugget on the auction block and let the market have its way with her tasty gem.

EBay rules allow Speight to offer the McNugget to the second-highest bidder, who had bid $8,000. But that deal might fall through as well, Speight said, because the bidder lives overseas. She told the Journal that she is concerned that the McNugget might not remain frozen for the duration of such a long trip, and could start to deteriorate.

The Journal said the Ebay page had plenty of interest from buyers and observers alike: The item, seen above, received 44,795 views and more than 1,600 people actively watched the auction unfold." From.

23456278178080-08123642.jpg

Spam Doughnuts, anyone?

krux

Reaction score
so as a starter is it better to collect a bottle entirely intact with the liquid still in it? The reason I ask is I'm going to a grand opening of a microbrewer in NY in May. So can I drink them and keep em or is it better to keep them sealed?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause