found gold in the woods

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epgorge

Reaction score
dare I say ridge runner... sure, I'm a masshole

and doeseatoats&littlelambseativey,

I have been in the woods "running the ridges" all my life, so far. Even when serving my country, I spent more time in the wild than I did encampments. I love the woods and would be like a fish out of water anywhere else.

My wife is from Mass and while I do know what you speak of, there are plenty of Mass people who are not like that. They just need to slow down and take it easy when they come to Vermont. To most locals up here, unless you run a business, we don't care about your money but we are interested in the people. I tell those who visit here to get out to a church picnic or bbq and meet the locals, rather than hit ostentagious highlights of a state.

We are the flatlanders now in Nova Scotia where my wife and I own property. They call us CFA, "come from away". I take no offense.

Joel

bottlenutboy

Reaction score
thanks for the links joel! im not up to date on my shrooms as you can tell... i thought they looked like the ones you posted a picture of just now but when george started talking about the lepracauns, it threw me because all the stories of "shroom trips" that ive heard consisted of little green men...

SergioWilkins

Reaction score
Did manage to find a hefty cache this spring... actually larger than any we've ever encountered before! My neighbour was good enough to tip us off as to the whereabouts. Here are some photos of just some of the beauties. They probably numbered somewhere around 4 dozen, and were on average the size of a fist! Many larger!

D62A2E26339A4AA8B79BB3813E92E3EA.jpg

Attachments

• D62A2E26339A4AA8B79BB3813E92E3EA.jpg
    D62A2E26339A4AA8B79BB3813E92E3EA.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 67

epgorge

Reaction score
Wow Sergio, Nice find.

What a batch. They are elusive little buggers aren't they? They do like to hide. Is that an Elm tree they are under?
Great eating!!!

When you check the upload button, look next to it and you will see "insert in post" or something like that... just click it and your picture will be imbedded in the post.

SergioWilkins

Reaction score
Managed to score a few more of these this spring while insulator hunting! Sitting well in my stomach as I type this!
And, yes, I believe it was an elm those ones were growing under. Strange, as they normally grow near poplars around here.
All the best!

40218A19D8D5470087743538083BE8C9.jpg

Attachments

• 40218A19D8D5470087743538083BE8C9.jpg
    40218A19D8D5470087743538083BE8C9.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 70

epgorge

Reaction score
Hi Sergio,

Good work there!! I found some yesterday under Maple, Ash and swamp Elm.

Nice ones you found.

Joel

Stardust

Reaction score
Sergio, Really Nice Find!!!

"There is Fungus Amougus"

Pics are quite lovely. I love nature and the woods. Thanks for sharing as I wish I was in the woods walking right now... Those pics took me there for just a little while and made me smile. : ) Nice to see others enjoying good old mother earth. Now just stay away from the Morning Glory seeds...... or watch or your teens on this one that's just reapeared. [:eek:] I heard and read that they can get you really sick from trying this old trick for a high. Wouldn't be surprised if they ban the selling of them. I don't know why the media releases these things to educate the parents
or teach the kids what to do. I thought this was something new, took my kid to tell me this has been going on forever. The things our kids teach us. [8|]
~Stardust~

epgorge

Reaction score
Sergio,

It looks like you have a normal or higher than normal water table wherever you are. Our morels are really dry this year and go by quickly by wooding up.

Stardust,
Mushrooms aren’t anything to mess around with unless you know what you are eating. Psychedlic mushrooms are the least of anyone’s problem. They have been around since midevil days, used in witchcraft, etc.. Mushrooms also have, we are coming to find out, health and medicinal value, just like they are realizing canabis (pot) has medicinal value.

There are mushrooms out there which effect your nervous system and will terminate your life functions quickly. There is one we shouldn’t even touch as it is strong enough to be ingested through the skin.

My knowledge of hunting edible mushrooms comes from my grandfather, passed on from his grandfather, … you get the picture. I find shrooms I think are edible but wouldn’t dare eat them. I don’t know them intimately, so I stay away from them. Do be careful not to pick a false morel. Know the difference or don't eat them.

They look like brains protruding out of the ground. They are most delicious. I have even heard those who dislike mushrooms say they are most delicious. They have an almondy flavor and when cooked slowly in butter, they get a buttery, crunchy flavor/tecture.

I hope you get the chance to try some, sometime.

Joel

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause