Found my 1st privy

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Cmterry86

Reaction score
I found what i believe to be a privy. I will describe what i found someone let me know what they think. The dug well is at the front of the property and then about 10 feet there is a bunch of foundation rock. Behind that about 20 yards is were i found a small depression in the ground. I used my probe and it has 4 wall they feel like wood. It is about 3 by 3 feet.

epackage

Reaction score
Sounds like a possible barrel privy, dig it!!![;)]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
You really wouldn't feel the wood if it was an old pit. Every wood-liner we ever did the walls were rotten,the only thing we feel when we probe out wood liners is the clay walls. The only way to find out for sure is dig it. Look for rotten wood and powdered wood on the clay walls,also look for square nails with pieces of wood around them.If you see all that,its a wood liner.

3x3 is kinda small for a privy.

Let me know how ya make out

TJSJHART

Reaction score
I KNOW ONLY WHAT I'VE READ IN THIS FORUM ABOUT DIGGING ...I ONLY COLLECT ACL'S ...YOU SHOULD START DIGGIN ...WE'LL BE WAITIN .

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Charles.

Welcome to the Blue Pages, and thanks for telling us about this possible privy. I don't know if you're superstitious, but I believe you're counting privies before they're dug...[8D]

I would begin beseeching the Bottle Gods at this point, not to have offended their generous spirit.

Perhaps you've already begun digging, and will photo-illustrate the fun.

Good luck on the dig.

6496814_std.jpg

creeper71

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: surfaceone

Hello Charles.

Welcome to the Blue Pages, and thanks for telling us about this possible privy. I don't know if you're superstitious, but I believe you're counting privies before they're dug...[8D]

I would begin beseeching the Bottle Gods at this point, not to have offended their generous spirit.

Perhaps you've already begun digging, and will photo-illustrate the fun.

Good luck on the dig.

[align=center]
6496814_std.jpg
[/align]
Funny u posted that pic, cause I was just talking about that movie today.. Do u remember what it's called? my friends an I couldn't remember

Plumbata

Reaction score
Sounds like it may be promising. Placing a privy 60 feet from a well seems rather unhygienic, but that wouldn't stop me from checking it out. I dunno, but if it is a privy and you did indeed detect wood, it could have been made out of Cedar or Cypress or something that doesn't rot away very fast. Could also be a feature remaining from a long-gone cold-smoking setup. Or water trough?

Creeper, it is "The Gods Must Be Crazy" [:D]

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: creeper71

Funny u posted that pic, cause I was just talking about that movie today.. Do u remember what it's called? my friends an I couldn't remember
The Gods must be Crazy

idigjars

Reaction score
If you find seeds in it while digging it out it is for sure a privy. If not it could just be a trash pit. Either way you should dig it. Paul

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAc