Found my oldest bottle! Insulators on poles & a broken jug - boo!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

downstate

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got in from a dig in Redding Connecticut, scored my oldest bottle yet! (I've only been digging for 3 weeks so it was exciting hah)

NICK JULIAN
BOTTLER
12 OZ
DANBURY, CONN
REGISTERED

Lots of bubbles in the glass & heavy to hold, took me 20 minutes to pull it out, seam does not run all the way to the top - so would this be a "applied top"? (told you I'm new to this)

Some photos -

6407114289_66b8d28198_b.jpg

6407114417_283f8f377c_b.jpg

6407114877_388d466c07_b.jpg

The owner of the property showed me some areas he was finding glass - this jug was sticking out of the ground, under it was about a foot of ash (mixed with coal & clam shells) dug to the bottom of the ash and hit dirt - no shards, trash or anything... keep digging?

6407114695_464697f0e9_b.jpg

Started the morning walking down some tracks in N.E Connecticut - just out of reach...

6407115015_ec425b1874_b.jpg

Thanks!

-Mike

cyberdigger

Reaction score
That's a handsome blobtop, congrats! The lip is tooled, not applied.. that means rather than adding a separate piece of glass to form the lip, they used a hand tool to shape the lip.
Far as your digging goes, if you hit the native soil, that's probably the end of it depth-wise, but you should fan out and see how widespread the dumpsite is..

downstate

Reaction score
Thank you cyberdigger - great info, & thanks for the suggestion, I found the blobtop in a separate area from the jug, seemed like a 1940-1960 dump area, but the blob was about 7" down, owner said I could come and dig whenever I wanted so I'll have to head back someday - trying to find some digs that are more local to me though :)

Bottles r LEET

Reaction score
Looks like there could be some older throws in there. You might want to go and get a ladder and get those insulators down.

downstate

Reaction score
Yea, I need to do something about them - but I think most are broken, seems like the locals have been tossing rocks at them since the rest of the insulators from that pole are on the ground shattered :(

Exactly_vague

Reaction score
chainsaw.jpg

Out of reach you say............................

Edit:

It would be totally awesome to get the entire top arm of the pole and make a SWEET coat rack out of it, even if you had to replace the insulators.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I'd be really happy to dig that bottle! There's nothing I like more than local blobs. That one's got plenty of casewear, you don't see that too much on older bottles like that, although I've seen it... I'd be back there in a heartbeat, even though it probably dates from 1910-1915.

russo

Reaction score
huge fan of old local CT bottles, awesome find right there

nydigger

Reaction score
The insulators were probably not hit with stones....would take a hell of an arm and a snipers aim to get them. They were probably shot...look around and you may find some casings....I have found pieces of insulators that would have been real nice to have if some jack-hole with a gun and a six pack didn't shoot the hell outa them.

Brains

Reaction score
I'm a sniper. We usually can hit a hemi-42 once for every... 50 rocks we throw. Then, when the rocks hit the insulator, they chip it a little and bounce off... Not the explosion we're usually hoping for but it's still a little fun.
yea someone prolly shot 'em...

I use a pole with a loop at the end to unscrew insulators, or sometimes i find a stick and poke them down- you might want to try that. The insulators on that pole look like common 42's 45's and a whitall tatum #1, but maybe if you look more you'll find some older ones.

...nice blob top.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter