fraud

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

suzanne

Reaction score
Do you have a friend that invested in the stock market and made a killing? Me too. So I decided to try it. I got a book about the stock market and it said that you should only buy stock when it had gone up in price for quite some time. I investigated ABC company for hours every day for a week and then jumped in with both feet. The first day I made 3.00. Then there was an unfavorable news report about the company. Investors bailed like lemmings diving off a cliff and I lost 500.00. This is only the second day I owned it, remember. But I had investigated the company and new it was a good bet, and sure enough the share prices began to recover, although not yet back to their high point. I won't say I lost sleep over it but I was depressed a couple of times. So if you invest, and there is good news about a company, the price goes up. Bad news, it tanks. It's kind of like a roller coaster ride. You can get on the internet for advice and one "expert analyst" will say, yeah, buy ABC company, and another will say, don't buy ABC.

Therefore there are constant news driven price swings. And then there is something they call pump and dump. Some sleazy ba***rd buys a lot of shares of a cheap stock and then gets on investing forums and announces he has inside information that ABC company has discovered a revolutionary process or something. The share price skyrockets, this guy sells the stocks for the new high price and gets rich, time goes by, it turns out that there is no revolutionary process, and the companies share prices plummet.

I have learned that there are many ways to commit fraud in the stockmarket. The Chinese have learned this too. American investors saw the phenomenal growth in China 's economy and petitioned the SEC to allow Chinese stock to be traded on the New York eschange, Nasdaq, etc. The SEC followed through and the result was that millions of everyday people were swindled into buying the stock of companies that didn't physically exist. Not only average citizens were bilked, so were the directors of many prominent and well known mutual funds whose clients had trusted them with their money because of their expertise.

Seasoned white collar criminals in the making got into the game by short-selling the Chinese stocks so that when they were exposed as fraudulent and the share price hit the basement, they made fortunes. Basically if you short sell you win if you bet against the stock. The more sophisticated among them placed short sell orders and then exposed the fake companies to speed up the process of getting rich. Now many or them are using their illicitly obtained earnings to cover the costs of legal representation.

And, as if that weren't bad enough, operators in the U.S. began conspiring with the individuals in China with the fake companies in order to recruit more investors and steal more money!

I found out through investigation that most investors actually lose money in the stock market. There are a million ways to get screwed so if you ever do this be careful.

splante

Reaction score
Most who make money on the market consistantly have a link to insider infomation. Look at Congress and the Senate they can do what ever they want, with infomation they get before it breaks to anyone else. They make MILLIONS, but they have a LAW that protects them fom being brought up on charges like Martha Stewert was. Disgusting,they flat out deny any insider infomation,but yet they spend millions and millions to get elected for a job that pays what a few hundread thousand a year. The average American is considered weak,dumb and too busy to do anything about it.
I have 401k and stock in th co. in it for the long term so I try not to keep track of it daily, but you are correct with the media and people playing games as you suggested the AVg Person has no chance......

suzanne

Reaction score
Splante, I hope you make some money with that 401K. I thought of a couple more things but you can't edit after 5 minutes so I am going to have to reply to myself.

In the event of bankruptcy trading is halted on the affected company and your stock becomes worthless.

A lot of people are investing in Canadian stocks traded in the U.S. because of all the oil discoveries but you have to pay very close attention to who owns how much of the company you are investing in if you do this. Many companies have multiple owners and it takes a lot of boring research.

Investing in canadian stocks is a crapshoot because they have few laws to protect companies that become targets of a hostile takeover. Therefore you as a stockholder are not protected. If you had invested in U.S. company the hostile aquirer would be forced to pay a premium to get your stock and if they aquire a certain number of shares they are required to buy the rest at a premium. In Canada the aquirer can wait for the price to go down for whatever reason and buy x amount of shares every time this happens They are not required to buy up the rest of the shares at a premium when they become the majority shareholder, so as a stockholder you just continue losing money. This is a very common occurence in Canada.

Mutual funds and the like are a really slow way to make money, if you make any at all.

Index funds bet on the market as a whole but you have to have a bull market to make anything. At this time there is too much concern over the economies of other countries holding down the market.

Now that I think about it, a lot of the problems in the stock market have originated as a result of the inclusion of foreign countries.

suzanne

Reaction score
If you had purchased 1,000.00 of shares in Delta Airlines one year ago, you would have 49.00 today. If you had purchased 1,000.00 of shares in AIG one year ago, you would have 33.00 today. If you had purchased 1,000.00 of shares in Lehmann Bros. one year ago, you would have 00.00 today!

If you had purchased 1,000.00 worth of beer one year ago, drank all the beer, and then turned in the aluminum cans for the recycling refund, you would have 214.00 today. Based on the above, the best current investment is to drink heavily and recycle.

author unknown

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
The stock market has no guarantees , its gambling and they state that up front.
If risk doesnt suit you then put your money in the bank and get your 0.2% interest in relative safety.

xxfollyxx

Reaction score
Gold is where its at, not in the last month, but if you got in a few years ago.....
gold_10_year_o_usd.png

suzanne

Reaction score
Exactly. Wish I had some. I made big money last year with copper.

Antique Meds - don't get exited.
Lately I had done a lot of research and had a desire to entertain people by letting them know just how convuluted the stock market really is. If it helps anyone, that's a bonus too.

glass man

Reaction score
People know all this yet......some want to make it so social secrity funds can go inti stocks and they say with a straight face"This is the way to fix ss system![8D]RIGHT!

The depresiion started with the crash of the stock market...Some of the very rich ran stocks up up up looking like no end in sight...then the super rich got much richer by selling all their stocks leaving many holding the bag...of nothing!![:mad:]

It blows my mind that a bank robber [even unarmed though n the bank people don't know this] gets way more time then the robbers of millions on wall street...regulation is all but dead...yet the republican pres. canidates want to get rid of them all!JAMIE

suzanne

Reaction score
I think Obama is going to be re-elected. People like him. The republicans are running scared. You can tell by listening to hate radio. The more frightened they become, the more frenzied they are. I didn't vote for him but I can see he is doing what he thinks is right.

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
I buy dividend paying stocks via a mutual fund (Vanguard Dividend Growth Fund is the current name). Have done this for 30 years now, every month putting something in, reinvesting all dividends and capital gains.
I may never own the next Microsoft, but, those dividends add up folks, they really do.
They account for about 50% of the total return over time.
I like it when the market tanks, my dividends buy me more shares, which then pay even more.......

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1