Freeblown Pontiled Aprothecary

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
Found this bottle for $1.75 if you can believe it. I'm pretty sure the sticker is original, or at least period. It's super thick and brittle. I figure it's around 1830s. The glass is perfect without even the tiniest bite or scratch that I can see. It's pretty dusty and dirty, but I think it looks better that way. The stoppers missing, but I think I'll be able to find one of those fairly easily too. Not bad for under $2 though.

Oops....I meant Apothecary.

girl001.jpg

girl002.jpg

girl004.jpg

appliedlips

Reaction score
I'd guess the bottle is from that same period. Ones is that form seem to show up in later privies.

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
Really! I'd have though the bottle at least would be earlier then that being free blown and pontiled. It's definitely free formed and not molded. It's not turn molded, and I don't see any evidence of a dip mold, no seams at all, and a big ol pontil. The "decals" being 1880s-90s makes sense, but I'm pretty sure the bottle's earlier.

appliedlips

Reaction score
Your right it was freeblown, but for some reason apothecary bottles were pontilled right up to the Turn of the century. Alot have polished pontils but have dug solid rod pontilled bottles like that in later pits,too.It could be older but the methods of manufacture go right out the window when dating these..My guess as to orgin would be European.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Your right it was freeblown, but for some reason apothecary bottles were pontilled right up to the Turn of the century. Alot have polished pontils but have dug solid rod pontilled bottles like that in later pits,too.It could be older but the methods of manufacture go right out the window when dating these..My guess as to orgin would be European.

I would agree you see a lot of those early looking apothecaries showing up late in the 19th century. I also figured they were probably imports made with antiquated glass technology. Yours is quite early looking with that narrow neck and could actually be pretty early but I see fairly similar ones in lots of victorian bottles shipped over from England.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS