Frozen tundra dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

botlguy

Reaction score
That's all great looking stuff Jack, definitely better than most of the Silver Valley junk. As always, I really enjoy your digging stories but I don't buy the part about you being satisfied for the year. [:D] Terrific finding that unknown McDaniel.

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
This bottle was a fun one as I never had seen it before and thought something was misspelled, somewhere. Embossed "Gillet's/Chinese/Liquid/Blueing/Tripple Strength." I know Gillets is usually spelled with two T's, but have seen this spelling before. Then Chinese didn't look quite right but figured out it was. Then Blueing didn't look right and spellcheck doesn't let it pass, though the dictionary says it can be spelled with or without the E. Then I found it! Triple only has ONE "P", not two! But they spelled the more difficult STRENGTH correctly! Go figure.....Woulda made more sense if they spelled it with three P's! HA!

Attachments

• 1399b232c98b47caaed53c39fa8e4261.jpg
    1399b232c98b47caaed53c39fa8e4261.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 96

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Lastly a shot of the hoard. Note the crystal decanter in center. I tried to chip the lip TWICE. First time caught it with my screwdriver, fortunately without success. Thinking it was likely broken, I semi covered it while being distracted with something that really WAS broken. When I finally got around back to it, I had forgotten about it and hooked it again! Also without success! It came out in perfect shape in spite of my efforts. Note the crier double eagle from Pittsburg on far right. Just can't seem to dig a whole one this year....maybe next year......Jack

Attachments

• c577581ad0f44a15a685f72fcee30e32.jpg
    c577581ad0f44a15a685f72fcee30e32.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 75

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Thanks Jim, and yeah, I always find it tough to give up digging ANY time, but believe it or not we have been colder here lately than Spokane! I can dig in 107 degrees but as soon as we drop below freezing I get "reluctant" real fast. That soda has got to be my favorite local bottle of the year and I have dug my share of progressive favorites this year. Just hoping it gets above freezing by Friday as the demo site has a limited window of opportunity.....Jack

cacarpetbagger

Reaction score
Congrats on another good dig. Always look forward to seeing your finds. I hope you get some nice flasks soon. I understand how you feel about the cold. I got for the first time in almost two years, a high of 30 and 20 mile an hour wind. Didn't mind, just glad to be back at it. And do be careful, that concrete looked scarey.

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Hey sand_pontil, I am not up on insulators but the lightning rod insulators I have on my roof and others I have seen look nothing like this one, though it could be a different kind. It's small and unthreaded & unembossed. I suspect more like maybe a house or barn insulator? I'll post a couple pics shortly. Jack PS- GOOD EYE!

epackage

Reaction score
Fantastic finds, you made the right choice getting out of that hole, it would have sucked to have someone else post that they found these great bottles AND your lifeless body at the bottom of the pit... [light]

hemihampton

Reaction score
Wow, Would be very cool to dig some unknown bottles. Nice finds. LEON.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles