G.A.P. 1881? Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Matt3609

Reaction score
I haven't heard of George A Potter before i was wondering were i might be able to find more info about the brewing company or where you know this info from......thank you for your posts

tigue710

Reaction score
bury your nose in the Historical Society in New London or the the Library and you can find some info on George Potter.

There are besides your bottle a few Variations of the pony bottle, at least five different pint blobs, three stoneware bottles, a Gravitational hutch, at least three regular Hutchinson bottles and a couple different variations of the quart size blob which is also marked the same as your pony. The quarts are usually amber. Beside your pony bottle and the Quart size bottle all of his glass bottles are marked with his name and the town. I have all of his known bottles except for one of the stoneware bottles and the Gravitating hutch.

I live in and collect New London bottles and have studied George Potter extensively.

Id be able to tell you more but all my notes are packed up right now as I'm moving...

here is a pic of one of the Stoneware bottles I dug this winter...

IMG_8348.jpg

ktbi

Reaction score
Hi Tigue - I've had this bottle for several years and don't really remember where it came from. I bought a small lot of bottles and this was in it. Could it be one of George Potter's? It's about 10.25 inches tall, quart size. It's embossed G.A.P. on the shoulder on one side and 1881 in the middle of the bottle in the back. I can post more pictures if needed, but these are the only two I have at the moment. Thnks for the info...Ron

D22353C65C184A36A7CE183ECEA06C61.jpg

Attachments

• D22353C65C184A36A7CE183ECEA06C61.jpg
    D22353C65C184A36A7CE183ECEA06C61.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 63

tigue710

Reaction score
Yup, that is a Quart George Potter Ron! Some have a slug with 1881 in them while some dont and then some others have a strange rectangular sunken panel on the shoulder opposite the G.A.P., I haven't figured out what that was for...

Locally they can sell for 50 bucks in an antique store, 20 would make it go quick. Dont know if you could sell it on e-bay. Some are a more squaty type, and some have long necks and less slope on the shoulders. They all have the same date. Yours looks like the squaty type.

New London was a large port in her day and many of the merchants sent boats to the west coast to trade goods, and what ever else. Because of the large amount of Merchants in town our bottles seem to end up all over the place! During the gold rush something like 20 ships from New London Deserted in San Francisco bay. Merchants would send another ship to pick up their abandon ship and that ships crew would desert with gold fever too! It was a big problem... Of course that bottle is later then that but I always thought the story was funny...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearybottlebaby1776