G.W. Stone's Stoddard bottle at auction, march 9 2015

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
It doesn't start until the 9th of March Jim. I only approved it because it's Norms auction house and I like his auctions.It would be nice also to know how the OP got a hold it to sell, I got the feeling it's theirs and could have be considered spam.http://issuu.com/normanchecklerco/docs/auction120
7D54412B9F99465993F71FFC7C6C8CE2.jpg

Bretteves1

Reaction score
This bottle helped prove my sanity after an entire summer in the woods, rivers and construction sites. ;) I'm just trying to promote it because I know it doesn't come up for auction often. I appreciate the help!

botlguy

Reaction score
Bretteves1, is this your bottle? I don't understand your circumstances and cannot understand the purpose of your post. I'm OLD and confused. It's a gorgeous bottle and one I could never afford even in my best days of collecting. Back story please. Jim

Bretteves1

Reaction score
It is my bottle. It is going up for auction on march 9th in Norman hecklers auction. I posted this in order to spread the word. I'm also interested in hearing more about it if anyone has any interesting info. I've learned a lot about stoddard and similar bottles since squiring it. Is this the finest? Ive heard of others with damage, wear and repairs.

botlguy

Reaction score
Thank you Brett. I don't mean to be rude, and I don't object to your promotion. My only objection (minor) was your lack of information. I have no personal knowledge of the bottle so I cannot help you. It being so rare leads me to think few if any on this forum will have any information. I might suggest that you contact the likes of Jeff Noordsey, Michael George or other advanced collectors who have knowledge of such critters. They have abandoned our humble pages for Facebook. [:'(] [:mad:][:(]

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Hi Brett I collect Stoddard and yes that bottle is a beauty for sure and is definitely Stoddard glass. I have been searching for that particular bottle for some time. I have found shards of your bottle at the site of the Granite Glass Works in Stoddard. Stoddard Glass is generally attributed to known molds such as yours, other embossed bottles such as Farley Ink, Forbes Blacking, Flag Flasks, Kimbals Jaundice Bitters and others. Prior excavations at the Stoddard sites have led to these conclusions as well as business records showing certain customers orders such as JK Palmer of Boston and others. Color of glass is the other identifying feature for Stoddard glass, Olive, Honey, Blood Amber, Hunter Green (Rare). The only problem w unembossed is Ct and Ny glass houses have similar colors. Your bottle is very rare and should do well at auction. I am certain Mike and probably Jeff will be at the New England bottle show 4/12 in Dover NH. I will be there as well setting up a table selling bottles that I have found, I will have some glass you can look at as well as many others w Stoddard glass. Congrats, go back to that spot see if there are more!

sandchip

Reaction score
Brett, did you find it? If so, tell us about the discovery. A bottle of that caliber deserves a great story to go with it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem