Gem Butter Jar 5 lbs

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hello jar guru's. I had a bit of luck yesterday and was wondering if yall could answer a couple of questions for me. Bout 3 years ago I dug a Gem Butter Jar 5 Lbs in perfect shape. I also dug the glass insert in good shape. Yesterday I was diggin in another Military pit that was about 10 miles from where I dug the jar and "Lo -N- Behold another Gem Butter! Unfortunately it was broken in a hundred pieces. The Zinc band and glass insert however were still there and in good shape. So now I have a complete jar and 2 inserts. My questions are: What is the jar alone worth, (I have heard anywhere from 6 to 8 hundred) What is the jar with insert and band worth, and what is just an insert worth? The jar is not for sale, but I would like to know an accurate value as I have never seen one for sale on ebay or the auction houses. I know Redbook says $750 an up. Is this accurate? Thank you, Kelley

Pn37602.jpg

Attachments

• Pn37602.jpg
    Pn37602.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 83

flasherr

Reaction score
Wow Looks like 2006 is going to be your year Kelley. Can i come rub you for good luck lol only above the waist. nice find
Brian

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Brian, thanks. I'm told it's a really good find though I'm not a jar collector. There is a neat story on that particular jar though, on why it's pretty scarce. Come on up. We may not find any good bottles, but we'll have fun doin something! You can rub me for luck if you want to but I got to tell ya..... I ride a Honda and have no desire to ride a Fat Boy![sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif] Kelley

pitfinder

Reaction score
Folks, he can't ride a Honda very well. He had to lay it down a few years back just because a little ol' car pulled out in front of him. Poor baby!!! And I'm surprised he could find anything Saturday by himself. I had to work. Richard

woody

Reaction score
The Red Book #9 says: Gem Butter Jar 5 LB's Aqua, $600.00 & up.

The closure value is 35-50%

These are estimated values, Kelley.
It very well could be worth more on todays market.

Red Book # 1080.

Fruit Jars

Reaction score
Kelly, I think the redbook price of $600 & up puts you in the ball park. The scarce jars (which this definitely qualifies) are amongst the hardest to price. My guess is you would get more than $600. If I was you would just hang on to the insert until you see someone looking for one, then you will get your best price. If you ever decide to sell your Gem Butter Jar 5 lbs would appreciate an email (ikeda.jerry@gmail.com). Good luck digging maybe you will find more.

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Kelley, Thats a good find. I'm not as lucky as you, I only dig busted Gems but I got a couple good inserts if any body needs them.

PM an offer.

He97437.jpg

Attachments

• He97437.jpg
    He97437.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 83

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Hey Woody, Is the 30-50% added to the $600.00 or is it subtracted from the $600.00 if you don't have the closure?

Jerry, June Lowery got 1st dibbs on it when I sent it to Wayne to have it tumbled, but If I ever sell it and she doesn't want it, I will certainly give you a shout before it goes up for bid. Thanks again, Kelley

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973