General Grant? bottle - Please help us identify!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

brad or cat

Reaction score
This bottle was dug back in the early 70s in the Tintic area of Utah. Our best guess is that it is a figural of General Ullysses Grant (sp?). Can anyone tell us ANYTHING about this bottle?

Db85778.jpg

Picture cropped to a reasonable size! - Admin

Bluegrass

Reaction score
The only thing I would say is that it doesn't look old enough to be pontiled. That mouth and lip looks very 1900 ish.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I can tell you that this figural bottle is not listed in Albert C. Revi's 1970 book, AMERICAN PRESSED GLASS AND FIGURAL BOTTLES.

The French produced a lot of interesting figural bottles around the turn of the 19th Century, but I don't know if this is one of them.

------------Harry Pristis

swizzle

Reaction score
Wow this is an old post. I saw the same bottle today. On the bottom it is embossed "MADE IN ITALY". Is there any value to this one at all? I saw the made in italy and assumed it was a wine bottle, maybe from the 1960/70's. Am I wrong? Swizzle

brad or cat

Reaction score
No, it is not pontiled but definately dates from the turn of the century or before. No made in Italy embossing, either.

swizzle

Reaction score
The bottle I saw today is identical in likeness, so it is probably a repro of your bottle. Thanx for the reply. Swizzle

zanes_antiques

Reaction score
if you look at the item posted here and compare the ebay to it you will see. for one it has a flared lip and the ebay one has a tapered lip. first thing I noticed.

brad or cat

Reaction score
Very interesting bottle, Swizzle! Thanks for showing it here.

But, they are not the same bottle as the one I posted above. Could be a repro I agree, but there are differences in the man's face structure.

Brad

swizzle

Reaction score
Yeah I definately see the difference now. I just wanted to show you which one I was talking about. I like yours much better. Not just for the value but because its a better looking bottle. So you can see where I thought it was a repro of some type then. Swizzle

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mohib