GEOCACHING

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JGUIS

Reaction score
Is anyone else into this hobby? If you've never heard of it, check it out at www.geocaching.com . Look in Getting Started for FAQ for a quick description, then punch in your zip and see how many you pass on your daily travels. Next to bottles, it's my favorite thing to look for. [;)]

Black_Boogers

Reaction score
I've been geocaching with the wife and kid for a couple of years now. I'm maintaining 12 caches and we've found 50 or so. The great thing about the sport is that you end up going to places you never would have gone to before. I went out with a buddy of mine to find a cache and on the hike out he found a really nice, 5" long, red chert spearpoint on a little dry side creek. We've also accidently stumbled upon a few caches while out exploring for bottles, without using the GPS unit (you gotta know what to look for).

It's a lot of fun, and hiding a cache is even more fun than finding one.

JGUIS

Reaction score
I've also found a couple dumps either looking for caches or scouting hiding locations. Warren, I think you'd like it.[:D]

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Hey this looks kind of cool. I typed in my zip code and apparently there are a bunch of people in my area doing this. Are those GPS gadgets expensive?

capsoda

Reaction score
I have access to a hand held and they aren't all that expensive.

I checked out that web site and there are 30 or so caches within 9 miles of my house so I may have to give it a try.

I think my wife would get a real kick out of it. She loves treasure hunting.

annie44

Reaction score
I used to geocache all the time - found over 100 caches, and hid around 5, that still get visitors every weekend four years later. It is a great way to learn how to use a GPS - I got to where I could almost walk up to the cache without looking around hardly at all - depends on the tree cover though. The best caches, in my opinion, are the ones that take you to a nice park and involve a bit of a hike before you get to the cache, preferably in dog friendly parks. Some of them are a waste of time, you drive 20 minutes for a three minute walk, and some are in safer areas than others. Read the descriptions carefully.

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Hmm, sounds very interesting. So where can I get one of these handheld GPS?

annie44

Reaction score
You can buy them at stores that sell outdoor recreational equipment like REI or Galyan's.

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Brian, You can get them from stores that sell hunting and fishing supplies, boating supplies or from some Wally Worlds. You can get them on line too.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flipper93