getting permission to dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

redlurcher

Reaction score
Hi

I've just registered and am hoping someone can help me out with regard to getting permission to dig from land owners.

I have only been digging for just over ayear and I am struggling to get permission to dig on a couple of tips i know about. They are both on farmland and i have approached the farmers directly and been refused twice. I am loath to give up but I need new tactics, other than offering cash as I have none. They claim to have had bad experiences with people attempting to dig without permission in the past and i can believe that, having seen some disgraceful scenes in my short time as a digger. I tend to dig alone and as a result i don't find many tips so if anyone can give any suggestions i would be grateful.

Mainepontil

Reaction score
You could offer to "clean up the mess" other diggers made. Sometimes that works but you better hope it's a good dump or else you'll be working for nothing.

Is the land posted? If not I would hike in and dig, just be sure to leave no trace of your digging like the last guys.

Joel

CanadianBoy

Reaction score
Hey redlurcher,
getting permission to dig is always a bit of a problem.
What you have to do is get the owner interested in what your doing,get some cards made up with your name on them.I have made up a card with my name on it,under that it says Social Historian,then a logo,mine is History through Antique Bottles...I dig it.
my email address,& phone #.
A photo album of some of the things you've found,offer to give them some of the finds,
also tell them you will clean up and fill the holes after the dig.

redlurcher

Reaction score
thanks for the advice dave yours seems to be the most sensible to date so I thnk i'll do as you suggest and get some cards made up. I'll let you know how i get on,
regards
dave

redlurcher

Reaction score
hi joel
thanks for the reply. what do you mean by posted? do you mean is the land fenced off?
and would it make a diferrence if it was or it wasn't?

regards
dave

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey