Glass Floats

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

leebran20

Reaction score
LBJ: Best of luck tomorrow -- in fact, it is already there for you, though you likely have at least a few more hours left of sleep. Keep us posted with news at least if the photos have to wait. Sounds like you have a good plan on harvesting the goodies. I, too, have engaged in subterfuge when necessary.

On the floats w/ sea water in them, no pardon need be requested for the explanation. Again I'm not an expert, but I do know that authentic ones with water trapped inside them are the result of working floats suffering damage during their time at sea or in other use -- you know, knocking up against the boat, maybe from being thrown around the deck. A key to discerning a real float of this type is looking for such a damage on the float in the form of small spider-web type "cracks" to the surface of the ball, or even more significant damage to the pontil seal (this area of course being able to handle it better). In the course of them working or perhaps even floating in very rough seas to their final destination, the water pressure is great enough that the water gets in, but when they've settled to the resting place to be found the water no longer comes out and it doesn't evaporate. It's quite cool. I like them because they're like an adult and antique-glass lover's version of those things with the "snow" and liquid inside that you would shake up real good and then watch it all fall over the decoration inside.

Yes, water greatly adds to the value of the floats. The two I have would be common $5 floats without the water, but the smaller one I have with just over a third or so of water in it retails quite quickly for around a $100, maybe a bit more. The other one with about an inch and a half of water is worth about $40. Careful though if you do start thinking about buying these types of floats: Look for the trademark damage characteristics first before buying. Shady people do try to "make" these floats by tending to drill the pontil area and then patching it.

Talk to you soon.

leebran20

Reaction score
Thanks Roger. Yeah, I wanna go too.[:D]

BTW, LBJ, just wanted to let you know that I checked with my partner because I wanted to make sure I had my explanation exactly right about how the water gets in. The part I had right is that it does happen from damage to the float as I described, and then the float being put back to work. When the nets caught something, particularly a heavy load, these floats would then be pulled under water to a level deep enough that the water pressure was great enough to push water in, but once float comes back up, pressure is no longer sufficient to let water in or out. So the wrong part was about the rough seas and resulting journey to land. My partner told me that the float can travel for years and years on surface of ocean and in all types of conditions obviously and never take in more water.

Hope you had a good diggin' day.

bythesea

Reaction score
We have a great site dedicated to sea glass collectors and beach lovers and would like to invite some float collectors. It is Sea Glass Lovers, Shard Id, Locations to collect sea glass, many photos, please stop by for a visit!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn