Glass Spikes on the inside bottom of jars

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello all. Here is another of my subject coverage entries that might mean something to someone that Collects Jars that have been made on an ABM usinh the Emhart IS-62 process system.

GLASS SPIKES happen in jars made in the IS-62 or the Press and Blow System, this is a similar defect to the bird swing - but it is a spike of glass on the very inside bottom of a jar. This anomaly is caused by the tip of the press plunger being too hot - causing the glass to stick to the tip of the plunger and then when the plunger is pulled down out of the parison - it pulls down a spike. These spikes are dangerous because of the hazard of some one ingesting a piece of glass.

When I went into Thatcher Glass as an Application Engineer and part of Management in their Central Mold Division; I worked on hundreds of problems and this was one of them. At that time they were machining the coolers from bar stock to fit inside the press and blow plunger to take cooling to the inside tip of the plungers cavity and air coming out of the tip and out on the sides of these coolers. They were expensive to make.

So I got the bright idea of using an oil can spout for the main form of the cooler. I bought an assortment of oil can spouts from the Eagle Brand Oil Can Col We just made a base for the tubes to fit in the assembly and then welded the tube in the base. These were much more efficient in air flow and the cooling requirement. They worked fine for a while, but when they tried to speed up the production machine speed, they increased the cooling air pressure from the 50 to 60 pounds to more like a 100 pounds. The oil can spouts splint on their straight line seam.

With this problem I started having the steel cooler tubes swagged to the tapered tube form - from a straight tube and over come the failure at the higher air pressure. After I left the Thatcher Company's employment; I formed a sales company that I called MATTHEWS TECHINCAL SALES; and started marketing COOLER TUBES from inventory to the North American Glass Companies. This business name was changed to GLISCO.INC; Glass Industry Supply Co.; and it is still in operation with my former son-in-law still operating it.

I expanded my MTS.Co,.to include the marketing of special investment castings to the Glass Industry - all over the world. I became a traveling man real fast with a 65# brief case of samples. The application of special metals to the ABM WORLD took into coverage for just about all kinds of glass making.

The application went from metal Orifice Ring Inserts, to Gob shears, Gob delivery, Funnels, Baffles, Blanks, Neckring guide rings and even cavity inserts in the neckrings. Plungers B&B and P&B, Blow heads, Blow head tubes, to mold top plates, bottom plate inserts and take-out jaws to dead-plates. In my work at Thatcher Glass I got to make mold equipment parts from several different metals. This helped me learn a lot about the different mold materials and their operation next to hot glass for each one. In the sales world, we ended up making every metal glass contact piece that touched the hot glass for baby food production. The Ball Corporation got a special application success award, for their excellence of glass quality from the Gerber Baby Food Corp.

My whole world coverage was a busy one; and eventually required other sales people. When I reached 65 I was not kept on, even as a consultant in the marketing of these castings. Other companies even started making them to get on the Band Wagon. I can never complain, it was a great experience trip. I just did not have a good enough contract.

Since retirement, I have spent my time studying and collecting glass pieces of manufactured; with the intent of letting the marks on glass bottles etc. tell me how it was made before 1900. This gained a library of books and an understanding which has been applied to bottle clubs and my never completed homepage coverage. My satisfaction now is that of helping bottle diggers, collectors, and others interested in the glass world. I have taken advantage of the questions that come up on the A-BN FORUM - to apply my comments; and extended it to anyone that asks questions.

So I guess that fills you in, some more on what I have done and still try to accomplish. Clarence RED Matthews.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Thanks Red, as always, very informative. I've never seen those spikes but then I never looked. I guess I will now.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
HI cowseatmaize - I hope you don't but if you do I would want to buy it for show and tell.
Fortunately the electronic scanners usually pick up 100% of these and the bird-swings because of the potential law suiots if some one gets a piece of the glass in their system. RED Matthews

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229