Gold watch?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mihai

Reaction score
Hi!

Could anybody please tell me how to clean this piece? A think that is a golden watch. I found it today when looking for bottles, on Thames banks, like I allways do when free. I didn't find any marks to tell me if it is gold for sure but what else could resist the water when the mechanism inside is all rust. I'm thinking to a kind of solution to leave it in for a day and than to be able to take out the internal parts. Is there anything worth keeping from inside?

Mr. Capsoda, are you around?

Ig13105.jpg

Mihai

Reaction score
here is a picture of the back

Jh14985.jpg

Attachments

• Jh14985.jpg
    Jh14985.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 63

Mihai

Reaction score
And one from a side. It didn't have glass or back lid and the hands felt at first touch. It have a strap but not in the best shape so I took it down.

Ur52362.jpg

Attachments

• Ur52362.jpg
    Ur52362.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 60

Miles

Reaction score
I reccomend using a cleaning technique called electrolysis, some of the people here swear by it. Me, I've never tried it, but I know it works.

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Mihai, If its gold it does not matter what you soak it in. Acid will get every thing out of it and leave the gold clean. If its not gold then it wont matter because its not worth anything.

Clean it in what ever you want if your just after the gold.[:)]

Mihai

Reaction score
I would try the electrolysis but I don't have materials and I don't know how to set one and so on... But the easy option would be the acid. Is the vinegar OK or should be a stronger one?
I'm not only for gold but the historic value of this watch is zero. I can't see any markings for the maker, the interior is not completely gone so I presume it did't spent 80 years in water, so no much reasons to keep it alive.
Thank you for feedback!

Miles

Reaction score
Vinegar might work, but for faster results, you could try a hydrochloric acid bath, with gloves, and goggles. Also, use the hydro outside if you're going to, it can rust metals that are nearby.

Mihai

Reaction score
Thank you Miles, but i still don't know if I can find this acid. I don't know if we are aloud to use something like this in UK. For security reasons. I'll give it a try with the good old vinegar. If the watch is not green by tomorrow than I could try other things.
Cheers!

Miles

Reaction score
Vinegar, for bottles at least, usually takes more like 2-4 days to work.

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hi Miles...

I let my gold watch soak in vineger for like five days and it loosened up some of the rust to the point that I was able to open up the case... It's still pretty dirty inside, but I'm sending it to a master jeweler/watchmaker in Seminole, Alabama for his expert opinion... Melt it down? or Keep it?

Wayne

Qn38173.jpg

Attachments

• Qn38173.jpg
    Qn38173.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 61

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members