Good Things Come in PAIRS

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mainepontil

Reaction score
Went out to a town dump that was capped in 1915 and NEVER dug. It is a deep one, 10' and still no sign of bottom. My digging buddies could not make it today...to bad because I got a pair of Dr. Langley's Root & Herb Bitters in AMBER!!!!!

langley2.jpg

Got some other stuff too, but not cleaned up yet.

Joel

WMassPete

Reaction score
wow....Im so jealous of some of these town dumps....and Im not talking 1880s dumps.....good teens dumps can be really good (1915 isnt a bad era....lotta nice sodas...pre-pro beers..early milks).....a lot of the ones around here have that "thin goodie layer" sort of problem....I revisited a dump that had been dug back in the 70s and on recently.....not too much action there..big mis-mash of 1880s through early teens...most of the holes were 3 or 4 feet deep..the good easy stuff got dug.....but the whole rest of the hill was this soft sand..so I started poking around and realized the vein was under 4 feet of sand.....but problem is (and like a whole bunch of dumps I just visualize right now)..you dig 4 feet of sand..1 feet of bottles ( a lot of burning and pushing around)..then you get something like..2 feet of bricks....sometimes the bricks make an appearance under some more sand.....then I think I hit the bottom with some water and empty feeling silty stuff.....but by then you might be 12 feet down (cutting into the bottom of a hill and digging straight in)....Im beginning to think the whole hill line might be artificial....people dug in all the little mini-ravines a long time ago..but....I think a lot of the seemingly looking natural hillside with fairly large trees growing in some places....is really dump...anyways....I know there is older stuff around....one thoroughly dug ravine (I went back and burrowed in the sand hoping for something) was a lot of 70s stuff (turtle inks....case gin type stuff)..anyways....this is near an older college so there are a ton of inks.....unfortunatly where Im digging now.....its mostly unembossed unexciting round ones ...got one amber.......or bottom embosssed Carters or Sanfords...Ive seen broken cone inks (boring ones again....1900..clear...)...and one nice school-housy ink but with a pen rest........anyways....(yikes..this is getting long)....there was a flurry of activity at the dump maybe ten years ago when some guys I knew (finally) got the bright idea to dig up top.....its a bit older up there too..those bell shaped inks with the little indents around the shouder and some sort of monogram embossed on them....those little round sanfords with the really wide flared lip...I think someone found an umbrella ink up there.....but its total brick rototiller fest up there......its going to take a whole bunch of digs..but Im hoping to make my little gash (maybe 5 feet wide) in the hill a lot wider and expand towards the front.....maybe when everybody got through the bricks up top and hit vacant seeming dirt or sand....they stopped.but thats just another cap later....usually on a hill like this..they kept dumping out....extending the hill several feet...so basically..(and then Ill stop typing)...what I thought was a 75 percent dug dump now seems to be more like 10 percent dug.....one final little tid bit..when I was in my teens..I was screwing around at the very top of the aformentioned 1870s mini-ravine...not too far off the parking lot....it was just sand with a few really old bits of stuff.but I did get one long necked pontiled utility bottle right there.....so....who knows...anybody who wants to check it out sometime....drop me a line....its really easy to get into....but....its right behind a very expensive college.. (you are in the woods down a ravine..so its pretty safe..and there are already a ton of old holes there....)....so.....Im not going to go too "round up the posse" just yet......
~Pete

frank

Reaction score
Nice bottles mainpontil and the guy telling you about his dump you might get to meet local cops[;)]. ps i know dump very well !!!

swizzle

Reaction score
Nice video. I still think we should have a seperate location for digging and finding video's. Good job as usual Mainepontil. Swizzle

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85