Goodbye Walter

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Angelpeace

Reaction score
Just heard the news. We've lost one of the last great pioneers of evening news. Walter Cronkite has died at age 92. For me, he was one of the last great trusted TV journalists. We lost something special when he stepped down from the CBS evening news, and I will always remember him as a great journalist and a highly intelligent human being. Walter, you will be missed!
Peace

T D

Reaction score
I was a little too young to remember JFK, but have seen many replays of Cronkite, truely a classic. I do remember watching him during the first trip to the moon...CBS used to have the best, what happened??

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I'm a little too young to remember the news being trustworthy, no matter who delivered it, but Walter was a great man, and that's the way it is!

Angelpeace

Reaction score
It's these 24 hour news(?) channels. In there never ending quest to keep America entertained, they've all forgotten what it is to be a true journalist. Everyone of them latch onto a story and milk it for everything it's worth. I mean watching hours of O.J.'s white bronco in the slow speed chase with police. BORING! But they won't take the time to cover the war with any real info. No They just know we have to have 24 hours of the Michael Jackson is Dead tour. And now God Forbid it's going to be Walter. They're going to talk about his career ad nauseum. And you know I can hear him now. "Come on guys and gals, there's real news to be a coverin'. Let me rest in peace. Now get out there and make old Walter proud. Don't let the profession of true journalism become another "That's the Way It Was......"
Peace

madman

Reaction score
ah man i missed that one, i used to watch him on the news when i was a kid, i would have liked to meet him .rip brother mike

RedGinger

Reaction score
You'll live to 92 and like it, Sonny. In my day, we wore diapers and we liked it.[:D]

RedGinger

Reaction score
Ours dragged, and we liked it!! (whatever that means?)[8|]

glass man

Reaction score
LOBES I CAN PRAY FOR US AND IF WE GOTTA LIVE A LONG TIME I PRAY THE DRUGS ARE STRONGER! WHEN THE WHO CAME OUT WITH THE LINE"HOPE I DIE BEFORE I GET OLD" I THOUGHT YEP ME TOO. COURSE I WAS SO YOUNG 30-40 YEARS WAS ANCIENT! THOUGT THAT WAS SO FAR AWAY DIDN'T HAVE TO WORRY BOUT IT. GOT INTO MY 20S AND RETHOUGHT IT AND THOUGHT"NOW IT IS A BLESSING TO LIVE A LONG AND FULL LIFE".NOW I AM 55 AND HAVE SEEN MY PARENTS AND OTHERS AT THE END OF A "LONG AND FULL LIFE" AND IT AIN'T BEEN TOO PRETTY AMD I'M THINKING"THAT IS WHAT I GOT TO LOOK FORWARD TO IF I LIVE THE LONG AND FULL LIFE WAY?[:-] I JUST PRAY THE LORD WILL HOLD OUR TREMBILING HANDS AS WE GO THROUGH IT ALL!!!! WHEW! HELP!!!! UNCLE WALTER: I WAS SITTING IN 5TH GRADE CLASS WHEN THE PRICIPLE CAME ON THE INTERCOM AND SAID"PRESIDENT KENNEDY HAS BEEN SHOT AND SCHOOL IS BEING CALLED OFF". I DON'T REMEMBER IF THE PRICIPLE SAID IF HE WAS DEAD OR NOT. WELL IN OUR LITTLE KID MINDS WE GOT MIXED MESSEGES. THE PRES. IS SHOT PART HORRIFIED ME AND I THINK ALL. WE GIGGLED! I GUESS CAUSE WE DID NOT KNOW HOW TO REACT! THE KID PART OF US ALSO HEARD "SCHOOL IS BEING CALLED OFF" AND IT WAS "ALRIGHT".! REMEMBER WALTER FOR DAYS TALKING. 1ST LONG RUNNING COVERAGE OF ANY THING I SAW. PEOPLE WALKING ROUND THE COFFIN,LITTLE JOHN JOHN SALUTING,FUNERAL PROCESSION,SEEMED IT WOULD NEVER END AND YET STAYED GLUED TO THE TV. I WAS WATCHING WHEN OSWALD GOT SHOT. IT WAS LIKE THE WORLD WAS FALLING APART,VERY SCARY. THANK GOD FOR UNCLE WALTER'S CALM SOOTHING VOICE! HE HELPED US GET THROUGH IT! WHAT A DRAG.....BUT THE FAB FOUR CAME OUT WANTING TO HOLD OUR HANDS AND SAYING SHE LOVES YOU YEAH,YEAH ,YEAH! IT WAS UPBEAT AND THE SUN CAME BACK OUT! NEXT TIME I REMEMBER RIGHT BEFORE WE NEEDED UNC. AGAIN IT WAS 1967! COLORS WERE SWIRLING,KIDS WERE INSANE AND INSANELLY HAPPY! THE BEATLES WERE TALKING BOUT "LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS" "ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE" "THEY HAD READ THE NEWS TODAY OH BOY" AND IT SOUNDED ONIMUS ,BUT HEY IT WAS THE SUMMER OF LOVE WHAT COULD EVER GO WRONG IN UTOPIA? WHAT WENT WRONG AND WENT WRONG FAST WAS 1968 WAS WHAT. JUST LIKE A TORNADO COMING ON US SO FAST IT WAS TERRIFYING! UNCLE WALTER WAS MORE VISIBLE AND MORE PROMINENT THEN EVER. AT TIMES EVEN HIS CALM VOICE GOT DROWNED OUT AS MARTIN LUTHER KING GOT ASSASINATED,BOBBY KENEDDY GOT ASSASINATED,TET OFFENSIVE IN VIET NAM KILLED SO MANY OF OUR PEOPLE ![TWO I KNEW PERSONALLY] THE WAR ESCULATED! RIOTS EVERY WHERE! KIDS AGAINST PARENTS ,PARENTS AGAINST KIDS,AUTHORITY AGAINST KIDS. THE BEATING OF KIDS AT THE 68 CONVENTION,WHERE WALTER'S VOICE HAD ANGER IN IT FOR THE 1ST TIME EVER CALLING THE AUTHORITY THERE "THUGS" THE BEATLES SANG "HELTER SKELTER" AND "REVELUTION NO. 9. MAN IT WAS DARK! I COULD FEEL THE EVIL! UNCLE WALTER DECLARED THE NAM WAR A BAD THING! LBJ SAID IF I HAVE LOST WALTER,I HAVE LOST AMERICA"! BUT THEN AT THE END OF 68 CAME THE BEATLES IN A YELLOW SUBMERINE! GONNA WHUP ASS ON THEM BLUE MEANIES WITH NO MORE THEN GREAT SONGS AND LOVE! THEN JUST AS A TORNADO COMES IT WENT! BEATLES SINGING "HERE COMES THE SUN" AND WOODSTOCK NATION WAS BORN AND WAS ALMOST INSTANTLY KILLED BY THE ROLLING STONES AND CHARLIE MANSION. ..BUT THE SUN KEPT SHINING. THE LAST TIME I REMEMBER WALTER'S VOICE WAS WHEN MEN WERE LANDING ON THE MOON![OR AS SOME OLDER PEOPLE ROUND HERE SAID IN A DESERT IN TEXAS OR SOMEPLACE!] GOD BLESS WALTER! WOULD HAVE BEEN HARD GETTING THROUGH THE SIXTES WITHOUT HIM AND A LITTLE HELP FROM OUR FRIENDS -THE BEATLE! THAT IS THE WAY IT WAS IN MY MEMOREY BANK . [&:] JAMIE

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229