Got One! Bowman's Irregular Hexagon

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jim

Reaction score
Here is the newest addition to my happy bottle family: KI-1 Bowman's Drug Stores irregular hexagon poison. Pretty medium cobalt color in the 1-ounce size. I love these! Jim

Xv64487.jpg

madman

Reaction score
wow!! thats neat! love that its embossed with the drug store! love that stuff! nice addition jim! mike

Jim

Reaction score
Thanks, Mike. The store-named examples of these are very hard to find. There are at least 28 different store names that can be found on these bottles, plus the plain ones both with and without POISON. I now have 11 total, including four that are store-named (2 Sun Drug Co, 1 Melvin and Badger, 1 Bowman's). I know I'll never have an example of every one made (I don't think anyone does!), but I'm going to have lots of fun trying! Jim

Jim

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. These have been my favorite type of bottle since the first time I saw one. They look really sweet when you have a group of them sitting together with both blues and greens. I'll post a full group picture when my newest ones arrive. In addition to the Bowman's, I just bought a 2-oz cobalt with POISON and three 1-oz plain cobalt ones (got a good deal on them by buying all three).

I've had to rely on internet buying for all of them. I've scoured every local antique shop and haven't seen any. I've never even found a piece of one while digging. While I enjoy the challenge, sometimes I wish they weren't so d@mn hard to find! That makes it more satisfying to own them, but can be very frustrating [>:] I've actually had dreams about finding irregular hexagon poisons while digging. I know, I've got the bottle disease bad...and I love it!! Digging, cleaning, admiring, spending every extra $ I can scratch up, and of course hanging out with all you guys on this great forum. Bottles rule! Jim

poisons4me

Reaction score
Very nice,congrats on that one. I have watched the US irregulars triple in value in 15 years or so,not a bad return.....if someone could pry them from my fingers!!post a picture of the suns,i have suns and am negotiating on another now.Great stuff Jim.Poisons are cool.

Jim

Reaction score
Hi, Rick. I will post a picture of my 1-oz Sun below. My other one is a 1/2 oz, which I have nicknamed the "Headless Horseman"- it is missing the neck and lip! I bought it for seven bucks in hopes of someday finding the piece to repair it. I don't even have a pic of it, but it will appear in my group picture when the others arrive. I also have a nice Sun Drug medicine bottle with the same logo on it. The 1-oz below has a lip chip that hides well in display. Jim

Us52533.jpg

Jim

Reaction score
This Bowman's finally arrived today with an added bonus. In addition to the cork, it also has an original label on the back panel! This was not shown in the auction pictures, so I had no idea that it was there. It is a plain, red-bordered label with a hand-written notation identifying the contents as "Flavor No. 9". The bottle was about 1/4 full of this nasty, foul-smelling liquid [:'(] After determining that it was likely not anything seriously hazardous (just stinky!), I decided to dump the stuff and rinse the bottle. Maybe this flavor smelled better when it was new, otherwise I don't know who in their right mind would want to taste it [:D] Interesting that a flavoring agent was placed in a poison bottle. It may have had a high alcohol level, probably wouldn't kill you, but would make you really sick! Jim

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Jim, Doctors used different flavoring agents to try and make meds tast better. Some of those agents were toxic as all git out and would drop you like a brick in anything over just a minuscule amount.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday