Great insulator find!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Brains

Reaction score
So,

We figured we are screwed already with gas prices and all so we drove an hour or two to go to a flea market. Man was that place disappointing! There were so few insulators at the market and surrounding antique stores that i was (and still am) able to remember the prices and locations of the insulators there. Lucky for us there was a rails-trails bike path not to far down the road and we went there. As we were riding down the main path there were about 5-10 poles for a distance of 6 or more miles. All bare, no insulators to be found except for a small pyres on a neighboring power line. All the poles in this area are interesting as they all used the same configuration, 10 pin, all metal with wooden cobs.When we reached near the end of the trail it moved away from the ROW and into a park. Well i had to complain about that, there weren't any insulators along the path and surely there weren't any in this stupid park. However off in the distance i saw what was a train trestle. Ahh there was still hope, i think. So I decided to walk up the small path that led up to what i thought was another set of railroad tracks. There were none, but don't cont out the line yet. The tracks were only gone, the ROW was clearly distinguishable. So i am walking and i see a pole. Well this is great as it has a straw Whitall Tatum no1 on it! I have been trying to get these things forever but they are always glued tight on the pins. Looking to my right i see a faded aqua chunk of glass but i passed it off as a busted beehive. Knowing dad wouldn't want to get down a lowly straw 154 i decide to get the chunk of glass. To my astonishment i pick it up and the words "PATENT DEC. 19-1871" are there. This wasn't just any old beehive, nor a beehive all together. It was a cd 132:eek: In all my years (well just 1 year) of collecting i would never have imagined finding an insulator of this magnitude so i thought it was necessary that I yell out "I found a bullet" but i just said it loud because as you can imagine that wouldn't sit too well with a bunch of little kids and parents near by. Ahh, just in time. My parents were getting back right when i come out of the bushes with the insulator. Dad was as amazed as i was seeing as he wasn't really familiar with the style. (too rare for us) And the condition is impeccable! Just that flake on the base, (witch happens to be thicker one side than the other giving the insulator a lean) a small bruise on the inside of the skirt, an open bubble and a few scattered flea bites. Out cd 133.4 has a giant crack in it so this is great! The signal was just something we got because of the size and it's composition (we don't find much mud). It's a good thing that path went into that park otherwise i would have never found that line and the bullet. Were going camping there next time so we can look all day none stop:D

1 spot down, 3 to go.

374B5E208E074B6A8E8A34E944528905.jpg

Attachments

• 374B5E208E074B6A8E8A34E944528905.jpg
    374B5E208E074B6A8E8A34E944528905.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 49

cdnbottleguy

Reaction score
those are cool insulators ! there is a place near where i live where there is about 14 poles along an old railbed that still have the old colored blue glass and greenish glass insulators still on them . there way out in the woods but still there !

LC

Reaction score
PATENT DEC. 19-1871
Is the insulator embossed PATENT DEC. 19-1871 a good one? I have one, but it is embossed a little different from the one you have illustrated..

BA91F2D140854A2B9DB35CA08494407F.jpg

Attachments

• BA91F2D140854A2B9DB35CA08494407F.jpg
    BA91F2D140854A2B9DB35CA08494407F.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 46

appliedlips

Reaction score
Good find Brian!We find a few of those styles in the privies here in Central Ohio so they must have been very popular on the poles in the 1870-90 period,locally.Good find and hope you keep turning them up.Doug

Brains

Reaction score
thanks[:)] we wil be spending a good portion of my summer break at this line.The insulator was just on the surface s a rake should help us find lots. These were some of the first threaded insulators so we are hoping or threadles.

Does your bullet have a 3 or 2 on the back? if theres a 3 it's a 133.4 small bullet and a 3 would be a 132 big bulet.

Brains

Reaction score
just noticed both of you are from ohio and you seem to have lots of bullet insulators. I see the one you have on ebay right now, nice insulator. The bullet you have L.C. is worth around 10-15 but they normally sell for more as it is a nice color and has an odd embossing.

LC

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Brains, don't know if it has a 2 or not, will take a look next time I am out in the building where I put them..

appliedlips

Reaction score
I didn't know the 132 were worth anymore than the others until recently.I have thrown lightly damaged ones back down holes.Shag and I dug a broken 132 in light purple a month or so ago,That sucked!Good luck with your collecting,Doug

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75