Green Chief Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

willysgal

Reaction score
I recently began cleaning out a storage shed on our property and discovered some "cool" soda bottles as well as some other interesting bottles. I hope to sell some of them but it doesn't look like Ebay is the place to do it as bottles don't seem to be moving so well there.
Anyway, I found a green bottle, 6 1/2 fluid oz., with ovals in bottom half of bottle, and a picture of an Indian chief on both sides of the bottle. Around the bottom of the bottle it states: "Coca Cola Botg, Co" and the bottom of the bottle states: "Culpepper, VA, Min. Contents, 6 1/2 oz, 2951".
I've been searching for some info on this bottle for the last week but can't seem to find any. If anyone has any idea how old this bottle is and approximately how much it's worth, I would appreciate a reply. I haven't taken any pictures of the bottle yet but as soon as I do I'll post them.
Thanks for your help. Jennifer

49erFrank

Reaction score
I have several Chief ACL's & they seem to come in different sizes & varieties. I cannot speak about their value, except to say that I have sold a few to bikers who ride "Indian Chief" motorcycles. I've gotten $20 apiece from them, and they prefer the ones with red colored paint. Never seen a green one, all of mine have been clear with red or white paint & various localities.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Willysgal ~

Where's Willy?" LOL

I just got your message, but did not see your post. Most of the stuff I look at and post to is in the "Embossed and Painted Label" (ACL) section. Try it. You will get far more responses there than in the "After 1900" section.

Anyway, a photo would really help, as there are many varieties of the bottle you are referring to. But it sounds like an "embossed" (Non-painted label) example. Since it has the "6 1/2 OZS." on it, that would date it after 1914, and most likely before 1932, which was when the first painted-label (ACL) bottles were introduced. My guess, without seeing it, would likely date it somewhere in the mid to late 1920s. Look for numbers, especially on the bottom and around the heel, (base). If you see a 25 - 27, etc., this is likely the date it was made.

Coca Cola bottlers used these popular "Big Chief" type bottles to contain fruit flavors like Strawberry - Grape - Orange - Lemon, etc. But these bottles "never" contained the actual Coke product. They are very collectible and vary in value depending on rarity and condition.

If you wish to learn more, let me know and I will do what I can. But first, try posting a photo of it in the Soda Bottle catagory I mentioned above, and we'll go from there.

Thanks,

SPB

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~

Go on e-Bay and enter "Big Chief Coke Bottle." There are several examples on there right now that sound a lot like your's. Let us know what you come up with.

Thanks,

SPB

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn