Green glass gallon jar help

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Replays

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Had this posted in the what is it section, and it was suggested I post it over here, so I am just pasting a copy of my posts:

I found this a long time ago and just set it on a shelf because thought it was great. It has to be the crudest piece of glass I have seen and owned. Dug it out of a container over the weekend and wanted to see if theres anything to it. Green glass, a gallon, rough pontil, no seams, top off center, no doubt hand made. Guessing it's old, but hey thought the shot glass I posted yesterday was older too lol. Searched on here and around net but didn't find alot of info, probably because not searching for the right thing. Only going to post one pic here, leaving link for album at photobucket, will post more pics here if requested.

Billy

Photobucket album link(29 more pics): http://photobucket.com/greenjar

2nd post:

I found this about 20 yrs. ago in an old barn/shed behind a burned down 100+ yr old house(house had only been gone about a year). It was on a high shelf and looked like it had been sitting there forever with a half inch of dirt/dust on it. It holds exactly a gallon of liquid, which fills it to about 3/4" from the top. That was the thing that surprised me the most I think, exactly a gallon. That and the fact it doesn't leak anywhere.

F502EF44333042F7B603B25A51F2004E.jpg

Attachments

• F502EF44333042F7B603B25A51F2004E.jpg
    F502EF44333042F7B603B25A51F2004E.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 93

georgeoj

Reaction score
Billy, Nice Jar!
You have not found much of a response on this one because it is often difficult to evaluate a free blown item. Not being able to see the item in person also contributes to the problem.
I am not an expert on early glass. Having said those things, I think that it is probably not a reproduction. My guess would be 1820
+/- 20 years. I probably would buy the jar as old if I came upon it in a shop or at a sale.
George

Replays

Reaction score
Hey George,

Thanks for the response. That's why I tried to provide so many pics in my album from different angles. I'll take 100 more pics if needed to help identify it. The pontil mark is rough on the inside and outside. And it has dimples that can be felt both inside and outside. The dimples that are pushed to the inside look and feel almost as though someone pushed pins or something through the side of the jar. I will hand it to whoever made it though if it is that old, it is exactly a gallon lol.

Billy

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
Billy, I've got to agree with George on this one. Without handling it, you just can't be positive it's an old jar. Sometimes it feels a little "slick", sometimes it doesn't feel as heavy as it should for the size of the jar. It especially makes me a little dubious when you say it's a gallon jar. Pretty unusual even for the 1800's. Cool and crude as it looks, I wouldn't be totally surprised if I saw 50 of them at Pier One. -Tammy

Replays

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

On the suggestion of a member here, I sent an email to Greg Spurgeon of http://www.hoosierjar.com/ .This is a copy/paste of our conversation:

Hi,

On the suggestion from the guys at antique-bottles.net forum I am sending you an email about a jar I have. I am only attaching one pic, but will give you the link to my photobucket album which has a total of 45 pics in it. 30 of those pics were taken inside in my lightbox, the other 15 taken outside this morn. The ones taken outside aren't as good because camera lens fogged.

Anyway, I found this jar about 20 years ago in an old barn/shed behind a recently burned down 100+ yr old house. The jar was on the top shelf with a bunch of Ball and Atlas EZ seal jars. The thing looked like it had been sitting there for a while as it had a half inch of dirt/dust covering it. Instead of retyping everything I already posted in the forum, here's the two posts from there:

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Green-glass-gallon-jar-help/m-544785/tm.htm
https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Green-glass-gallon-jar-help/m-544820/tm.htm

Here is a link to the photobucket album: http://photobucket.com/greenjar

I do plan on selling this, but right now I am just curious what kind of info I can find on it. Told the guys in the forum I would let them know what kind of response I got.

Thanks for your time,

Billy Vance
Replays

Hi- Thanks for your message. Most utility jars of this form and color and having an applied mouth are reproductions from the 1960’s and 1970’s. Many of which purportedly came from Mexico. There are also original 19th century examples made here, but these are usually fairly easy to distinguish based on usage wear. Hard to say from just the photos, I would need to see it in person. Either way, any unmarked jar of this type, original or repro, does not hold a great deal of monetary value. A repro 20-30 dollars, an original 75-100 dollars. Best regards, Greg

Hey Greg,

I figured that would be the answer. Based on my observations, there is little to no wear on the base where it contacts the shelf, so unless it sat on the same shelf and wasn't slid around for 100 yrs, I would agree that it is a reproduction. I am in middle Georgia, not sure where you are, but not sure I could put it in your hands. Are there any pics from any other angles I can take, or anything I could look for myself to solidify the dating either way? Also, can I post your answers to my questions in the forum, of course linking to your site?

Billy

Billy- Yes a lack of base wear would normally indicate a lack of age, especially since you can be fairly sure it was never in the ground or professionally cleaned. No problem to post information. Best wishes, Greg

Thanks for all your help!

Billy

So there you have it lol, another great reproduction from Mexico. Still a great jar though with it's oddities, and I have enjoyed it's presence over the last 20 yrs., but it's time to find it a new home.

I have to say Thank You to Greg once again for his quick responses and help.

Billy

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I still think it's real. It's hard to tell online through pictures but that's my gut feeling. Can we get a picture of the base?

Replays

Reaction score
This is a straight down shot of base, also adding 15 more pics to album at photobucket, all of the base from different angles: http://photobucket.com/greenjar

I will say this...the pontil mark on bottom is on inside and outside. The one on outside has some places that are really sharp, enough to cut you. That's what threw me off the most is the sharp edges.

Billy

5898B8C45AD549CD97E8E263A836F20D.jpg

Attachments

• 5898B8C45AD549CD97E8E263A836F20D.jpg
    5898B8C45AD549CD97E8E263A836F20D.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 75

epackage

Reaction score
The wear to the bottom is not indicative of an 1800's utility jar, these bottles were constantly in use and handled, that being said I would expect alot more wear along the bottom edges of the jar. I'm going with a repro, still a nice looking piece of glass, and I don't know what you mean by the pontilmark being on the inside because it makes no sense to me...[;)]

Wheelah23

Reaction score
The pontil and awesome base pictures (nice job on those btw!) make me realize it probably is a repro after all. The pontil especially looks all wrong to me. But it's a nice looking piece and I'm sure others might fall for it as I did initially!

historyhunter

Reaction score
Im not saying this is old but just sharing info which nullifies one aspect IMO. They 1860s jar I sold last year had virtually NO wear on the bottom and was a wax sealer utility jar.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday