Group of Insulators

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

norflo2norcal

Reaction score
I'm new to insulator hunting, and as this is all I have found thus far.......

DSCF22412.jpg

.....I went out and bought some! Got 13 insulators at an antique store. Here's what I got:

DSCF22402-1.jpg

Several Hemingrays and Whitall Tatums. A few I couldn't really find much info on....

DSCF22552.jpg

DSCF22562.jpg

DSCF22502.jpg

DSCF22522.jpg

I really like the phantom star imprint on this one:
DSCF22542.jpg

I don't really know that much about insulators. I just love the blue and green colors, and appreciate the history of them. Anything you all can tell me about these is much appreciated.

Thanks for looking!

Bree

Poison_Us

Reaction score
It's a good start. Get to know these 2 sites if you wish to continue into the insulator collecting

http://www.nia.org/ for ID purposes

http://www.insulatorstore.com/ for pricing (if they have it in stock)

VTdigger

Reaction score
Thnaks for that link some of those insulators are super cool.

nydigger

Reaction score
norflo2norcal...check these out if you like colors[:D] https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Mint-Hemingray%27s/m-403509/tm.htm

BillinMo

Reaction score
In addition to the two links Poison Us gave you, there's lots of information here, too:

www.insulators.info You'll probably find it most helpful to go to the Picture Poster, then search on what you're looking for.

www.r-infinity.com Tons of info about porcelain insulators, and lots of historical information about insulator manufacturers of every type.

Your beehive-shaped insulator with a B was made by Brookfield Glass Co, which had a sales office in Manhattan but by the time this item was made their manufacturing plant was in Old Bridge, NJ. That shape was the Western Union standard from about 1883 to 1911, but the B versions are probably just a bit later. The numbers on the top of Brookfield insulators are "shop" numbers. Each shop consisted of one experienced glass worker, and two others (often boys) and they were paid by the piece instead of by the hour. Someone would tally up the shop numbers coming out of the annealing lehr and that determined how much the group was paid.

General Electric did not produce their own insulators, but for a number of years (roughly 1890s-WWI or thererabouts - I don't have precise dates on hand at the moment) they sold insulators marked with the Star. They had various manufacturers produce these Star insulators for them. That's a neat "ghost embossing" you have on yours.

norflo2norcal

Reaction score
Thanks for all that info, Bill! I really like the "ghost embossing", too. That one is one of my favorites. I like the Brookfield, too, with all the surface wrinkling.

Rockhounder55

Reaction score
What's the one in the bottom of the pic with the threaded hole that appears to go all the way through? Can we see a close up of that one? Thanks. ~Mike

kwalker

Reaction score
Insulators are neat no matter how common they may be in my opinion. They're interesting to look at and theyre great pieces of glass and certainly add some light to a dump when bottles run thin [:)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960