Had a great day ! You be the judge !

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
There's a lot of hymns in one of my old books. It's in German, though. I only got it because it's from 1868 and I wanted to save it, as it is an uttermost ruin. It was free, so if I one day see it rebound it'll be worth it. Only thing it is lacking is water damage. They bound it with horsehair. I found that pretty neat.
As for advertising, smaller old novels in my collection have that stuff--the last few pages are all to sell some product. Really, it is quite fascinating reading. Lol to the fact that sometimes it's more fascinating than the book. Indeed: You did very well.

goodman1966

Reaction score
Here's the rest of it Lisa.[attachment=image.jpg]

Attachments

• daa9a204730941ae82e4411e34b8fb7b.jpg
    daa9a204730941ae82e4411e34b8fb7b.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 84

goodman1966

Reaction score
A little info on the Gavitts system regulator pocket mirror. Harry Gavitts, born 1875. Showed a lot of interest in the business at age 7. Age 16(1891) invented the Gavitt folding exhibition chicken coop. Age 25 started working for his father at the company. 1902 invented an envelope stuffing & sealing machine that could handle ( reportedly) 15000 envelopes an hour. He was a strange man. In 1930 he started experimenting with taming fish, yes I said fish. He went so far as to stock a private pond on company property. The local newspaper reported that fish became so tame they would eat from his hand in large numbers and jump out of the water and take the food he held out. He ran the company from 1922, after his father's death until his own in 1954. During his time running the company their products were never sold in drug stores. I could not find anything saying why ![attachment=image.jpg]

Attachments

• 865616a7acff4968ab65216b35e25997.jpg
    865616a7acff4968ab65216b35e25997.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 85

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Have you seen a shaved one?Us old timers know what I mean, it may be a puzzle for some of you though.No prizes awarded for figuring it out.[:)]

LisaTammy

Reaction score
Goodman thanks for showing me the rest of that ad. This truly was a wonder medicine LOL. Tranquility to the mind? I wonder if there is a full bottle of this floating around there somewhere? Just kidding but I love those old "quack cure" medicine ads. I wanted to collect them but the cost is prohibitive. I need less collecting hobbies not more LOL.Lisa

goodman1966

Reaction score
Lisa, please call me Mitch. We are all friends here. Like you I need to collect less. But the price I paid for all these would not be believed. And as soon as this thread runs out I will post what I paid for all these items as a group. Some of it will be offered for sale. But I must do more research first. You mentioned you did some diggin today. Find anything?

LisaTammy

Reaction score
I found quite a bit actually. Three nice milks, a Nehi Upper 10 bottle, 3 of the half pint Ball Mason Jars blue without the underline, 1 quart size blue ball mason, a milk glass bottle with a weird top that has TALCUM FOR MEN stamped on it, a Citrate of Magnesia with a lot pf embossing and and ceramic stopper, A smallish square bottle still full of black ink, a rectangular green slick I just had to bring home for the color, an embossed french's mustard bottle, an embossed listerine bottle, and a red metal truck from about 1940 that is kinda cool no tires or rear end bur I like the looks of it. Oh yeah, I found a full nail polish with a bake lite lid. Whew I need to start taking some pics. Thanks for asking Mitch.Lisa

Plumbata

Reaction score
Great finds man, I always love the old ephemera. That birdswing bottle is cool, I like finding those. Nice work.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen