hand blown art glass.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kungfufighter

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

I was thinking a cool project would be to take early embossed bottle fragments, slump them to make them flat, then use them to make a stained glass window (Tiffany copper foil method).
If anyone has any interesting shards for the project I might try it (I only have whole bottles at the moment that wont be sacraficed)

Rick Carney (Maine) has made numerous lampshades in this rough fashion.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Rick Carney (Maine) has made numerous lampshades in this rough fashion.

Would this be anything I might find online or was it a one time deal?
My wife thinks it would be tricky to slump the glass and still maintain the embossing. Would take some experimenting. The differences in glass melting points could make it tough.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Here is the lastest art glass insulator bowl the wife made. Started out life as a green brookfield insulator.

6E67B22D78144B09A3C36A5DD3A4FD86.jpg

Attachments

• 6E67B22D78144B09A3C36A5DD3A4FD86.jpg
    6E67B22D78144B09A3C36A5DD3A4FD86.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 67

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Rick uses small shards and ties them together with what I presume is some form of solder. A friend of mine owns several of his lamps - I can try and take a photo the next time I am there.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
oh ok, using smaller peices you wouldnt need to flatten them. I'm sure he uses the Tiffany method. You copper foil the edges then you can solder the parts together. Does he make the whole lamp out of shards or just use them as accent peices with other standard glass?

kungfufighter

Reaction score
The entire shade is made of shards and he's made some thematic ones (e.g. my friend owns one that consists only of Willington and Westford shards). They're pretty neat.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi you people that want to learn. Try to spend a couple weeks at the Corning Glass Museum at Corning NY. They have demonstrations and even classes where you can learn a lot about what you would like to do. My oldest girl went to a glass blowing school in N.C. and both of my girls have done ceramics, marble making, stained glass creations and a lot of art work. They both went to the Ringling School of Art here in Sarasota. They both also have mastered stone carving and lost wax bronze casting, using a centrifugal casting set up to make cast gold and silver casting. The oldest girl became extremely capable making raku ceramic castings. In this process the fired ceramic product is put in leaves or paper that burns and blackens the piece. The tooled decorations on the ceramic can then be coated or painted to finish the product. We have two turtles and a flounder on the living room wall. RED Matthews

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Good to see you on line again, Red. Hope all is well.

Corning is definitely on my bucket list, preferably while my daughter is still at home with us. She's artistic and will enjoy this probably as much as I will.

Jim G

ORIGINAL: RED Matthews

Hi you people that want to learn.  Try to spend a couple weeks at the Corning Glass Museum at Corning NY.  They have demonstrations and even classes where you can learn a lot about what you would like to do.  My oldest girl went to a glass blowing school in N.C.  and both of my girls have done ceramics, marble making, stained glass creations and a lot of art work.  They both went to the Ringling School of Art here in Sarasota.  They both also have mastered stone carving and lost wax bronze casting, using a centrifugal casting set up to make cast gold and silver casting.  The oldest girl became extremely capable making raku ceramic castings.  In this process the fired ceramic product is put in leaves or paper that burns and blackens the piece.  The tooled decorations on the ceramic can then be coated or painted to finish the product.  We have two turtles and a flounder on the living room wall.  RED Matthews

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie