Has the economy effected the way you purchase bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Miles

Reaction score
Well as we know, times are getting harder and items like bottles (although we all love them!) may take a back seat to paying the bills. When I went onto ebay last night, bottles were still going for their usual prices, if not a bit higher.
Of course my justification is that it's a lot better an investment than the stock market, but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Angelpeace

Reaction score
I collect Holy Water bottles when I can find them. My husband collects mostly anything, especially if it has beautiful color. When we were both working and not disabled, we spent quite a bit on bottles because, like you said, they make a pretty good safe investment. Since money has been getting tighter and tighter, we haven't been buying a lot. We just can't seem to afford it. Of course, every now and then Jamie sees something that he just can't live without, and, even thoughi it doesn't cost a lot of money, we end up "robbing Peter to pay Paul" so to speak just so he can get that special find. Speaking of them being a good investment, Jamie sold some in 1994 to help pay for our driving trip to Bethel, New York. That was when I realized that these bottles were more than window decoration. Recently, at Christmas time, he sold one of his better bottle finds to pay the city and county taxes on our home. So I am trruly grateful that he didn't listen to me and quit wasting his time on bottles.
Peace,
Angelpeace

westernbittersnut

Reaction score
While we are in this recession era of the economic times, I was hoping that some of the rarer western bottles might come out for sale. I'm not finding this to be the case. It seems to me that the bottle owners are keeping their more valuable examples and waiting for better times before letting them go. I've actually had to increase my offers for the rarer pieces during these recessionary times.

RedGinger

Reaction score
I've never bought a bottle and can't start now. I've won one and had some given as gifts, but if I had a valuable one right now, I would try to sell it. I think people are still buying even though I've heard that's not as much the case nowadays.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973