Hats off to you plumbers and painters..

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bostaurus

Reaction score
We are still slugging away at getting the 'home' place in order. It was neglected for so long that the 'to-do' list is very long. As with most old homes, once we get to fixing one thing you find another problem.
Most of the time has been spent on fixing the old workshop and making it my son's bedroom/man cave. In it's original state it was just a frame and clapboard building. The lady that renovated the house put in a bathroom, kitchenette and covered the wall with pecky cypress.
We pulled out the kitchen and pulled down the cypress so we could insulate. The walls were filled with rat's nests and squirrel nests...it was quite disgusting. That was all cleaned, foam insulation applied, walls put back up and sanded (pecky cypress is splinter city), and bathroom re-done. Started on staining the outside of the building today...the part I though would be the easiest. Oh my goodness. Staining the outside of an old clapboard building, reaching the upper parts, and trying to be neat with it is so much harder than I thought it would be. God bless professional painters!
If you spend anytime out near this building the presence of the septic tank will make it self known before long. We had an guy out here to take a look and figure out the problem. He dug around the air pump in a couple places and then told me that there should be two access points one to the north and one to south of the air pump. I assumed that the large round concrete slab about 10 feet behind him and the large PVC pipe with the cap 3 feet from it must not be what he was looking for. He told me that the ground was too hard for him to dig any more, the azaleas were in the way, and he could hire a small digger at some expense and come back. I told him my son and I would be happy to dig around and find the access points and then call him back...he seemed happy with that. We dug and dug that evening, removing the azaleas, finding the electric wire and the air feed tube...which we broke. We dug enough to realize that there was no septic tank around there. The air pipe doesn't go down but out about 5 feet, makes 90 degree bend and then 10 feet to the tank...right near that big, round slab of concrete. My father in law was out the next day and confirmed that those were the access points. He confessed that he knew because he had already had to repair the air pipe when cracked it putting in the new sewage pipe to the workshop. New plumber time...God bless professional plumbers!!
Now I have to go and fill in a very big hole by the air pump. All that digging and not even a shard to show for it.

epackage

Reaction score
Thank You, Charlie and I go unappreciated many times, so it's nice to see a post like this. Glad to here things are moving along well on your end...[;)]

bostaurus

Reaction score
i wish you and Charlie were here....we could even so some bottle exploring in our down time.
The work on this little place started before we moved down. My father in law hired a semi-retired contractor to help with the carpentry. The work did seem to be going a bit slow before we got down here but grandad works part-time at his job and the carpenter has other jobs going. When we got here my son was to start helping but that only lasted a day.
The carpenter is 78, grandad is 75, and the uncle that comes to help is 82. The speed at which these guys worked drove my son crazy. It was so much fun watching them....discuss what needed to be done, reminisce, go look at the problem again, find the tool you need, go look at the problem again, find the lumber, try to remember why you needed the lumber, reminisce, measure, discuss, measure again, go find the tool again, etc. I figure it took about 4 times longer than it should, but they were having a good time.
Drove my son crazy to stand around waiting to actually do something.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bostaurus

i wish you and Charlie were here....we could even so some bottle exploring in our down time.
The work on this little place started before we moved down. My father in law hired a semi-retired contractor to help with the carpentry. The work did seem to be going a bit slow before we got down here but grandad works part-time at his job and the carpenter has other jobs going. When we got here my son was to start helping but that only lasted a day.
The carpenter is 78, grandad is 75, and the uncle that comes to help is 82. The speed at which these guys worked drove my son crazy. It was so much fun watching them....discuss what needed to be done, reminisce, go look at the problem again, find the tool you need, go look at the problem again, find the lumber, try to remember why you needed the lumber, reminisce, measure, discuss, measure again, go find the tool again, etc. I figure it took about 4 times longer than it should, but they were having a good time.
Drove my son crazy to stand around waiting to actually do something.
This makes me smile from ear to ear, I know exactly how your son felt at one time, then as I got older I came to appreciate the years of experience and the pace that older gentleman would work at. I've always been a go go go kinda guy, lets get this done and move on to the next thing, but I was taught at a young age to measure twice and cut once so you never have to go back and redo something you should have done right the first time. I'm happy to hear it's coming along...[;)]

bostaurus

Reaction score
Yes! I should have included you too. The "glass man" was out here the other day. Several small old windows were busted or missing panes, plus the outer pane of glass on a double pane door. Issues with a couple Pella windows she installed on the back part of the house which he says he won't touch. Front part of the house still has the old 1880's windows. Some thing will have to be done with them at some point though I would hate to lose them.
This is really quite a first for me after living in military housing for so long. If you had a problem they would send out 'maintenance". For a good part of the time these folks were "jack-of-all trades and master-of -none kind" of guys. It is so nice to have folks that are actually masters of their trade....except for maybe that last septic guy.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Cute post Melinda. I hope the place is getting in tip top shape. Sounds like you are really overhauling it.

Dugout

Reaction score
You should show us some before and after pictures.

bostaurus

Reaction score
Bob, it was neglected for the last few years. A doc in New Orleans was using it as a weekend place. When he and his wife started having marriage difficulties they stopped coming out here and he stopped having the property mowed and weeded. Stuff grows REAL fast here. It will probably take a couple years to get things cleared, trimmed and weeded. I think the sewer problems stem from neglect too as was the roof, and rats in the work shop. The the main house it is mostly cosmetic, and at some point put we will put in some modern windows. Termite damage in the new part but the termites have been taken care of...for the moment....nasty Formosa Termites. No termites in the 130 year old part. I hear you guys are even hotter up there than we are down here where we are supposed to be hot. Hope you are staying cool.

Renee I will try to get some photos. We have not been able to find the camera since we moved. I am hoping that it will be among the boxes that are still waiting to be unpacked. My kids say my camera can take photos but I have not figured that out yet.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn