Hawaiian dig pics 1

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

leebran20

Reaction score
This is from a dig my partner Mike and I enjoyed at the start of this month. Started out typically, with us just wandering up into one of our favorite Honolulu valleys to hunt in an area frequented by the deposed Queen and her supporters around the end of the 19th century and later settled by many Japanese immigrants to the Hawaii Territory around the '20s and '30s. This was an area of glory digging back in the '70s for the first diggers who found it, but there's still plenty of meat back there for those willing to hunt it.

Mike, my other partner Dean and I have dug single dumps in this area that have been mixed with different stuff from 1880-1970, others which have been exclusively milk-filled and included some real killer embossed '20s specimens which can bring in five hundy apiece, but this was the first time any of us had lucked into an exlusively 19th-century pit up there. And it all started with me having to go pee and happening to wander near the completely vertical dirt cliff alongside a river, where I spied two bottle necks sticking out before hollering for Mike to check it out while I went to find just the right bush. I first thought it was just a "Federal Law prohibits..." clear whiskey top I was looking at, so of course I wasn't that excited -- but then Mike yelled out that it was actually the top of a 3-pint clear Palmboom case gin, which of course was one of the few things that could stop me mid-stream and send me scurrying still undecent back to the spot. You think I'm kidding, but barely.

The finds weren't spectacular in pure dollar value, but we do believe -- and others have agreed -- that we set the state record that day for most tiger whiskeys (obviously the pottery specimens) found on a single dig. Though they were made a bit earlier too and the form I believe is continued until today, these 64 tigers, also known as Ng Ka Pys, are from the 1890s period, as is the Hollister and Co. Honolulu hutch and John Rapp & Son S.F. Cal beer and the few other potteries. As you can tell, some of the better tigers are Kanji embossed -- but most are not -- and they are glazed with a variety of beautiful shades.

Happy digging. I'll post some pics of one of those killer milk holes next.

Om32528.jpg

Attachments

• Om32528.jpg
    Om32528.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 82

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hi Brandon -
I just wanted to say thanks for sharing..... the photos and great story. If you were closer I'd try to buy at least one from you guys to lighten your load.[:)] I hope that you didn't have to tote these through the woods too far. Keep at it and watch out where you take a leak.[:D]

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
I am in Hawaii right now on vacation. I am about 15 minutes away from Honolulu. I was thinking about taking a walk and looking for a dump but people have warned me about the marijuana growers? So, I decided to play it safe and just do "tourist things." I did buy a milk bottle yesterday. It is an Aiea Dairy. I paid $30.00 for it, which was probably too much but oh well I liked it. What do you think? Let me know if you post more pics.

leebran20

Reaction score
Hey guys. ... Meech, glad you liked the story. I've only once got to dig in stuff around the age that you always seem to get dirty in (1850s-70s), but we still do have a ton of fun here with this stuff.

Bryan: If it's the Aiea Dairy variant I'm thinking of, you got a nice bottle without really overpaying more than a couple dollars or so at most. They're around, but they're nice and collectible, particularly with the Japanese character on it which means something which escapes me right now but I will let you know if I remember.

As for the marijuana growers, I have come across abandoned "plantations" on occasion, but it's really something that you shouldn't overly concern yourself with. Have fun and go explore a bit; pick up a book on the hiking trails in the mountains above Honolulu; the two crowns I found were on one of these such mountains and the bottles come out pristine.

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hey Brandon -
I like all, well at least most, digging stories. I say most because some post items and bottles that we use to actually fill our holes in. I'm talking about screw top, unembossed and very common clear bottles. There are some digging forums loaded with this sort of thing. That's great fun for those bringing them home, but I can only imagine how jammed up their hard drive must be taking snapshots of every find and individually, instead of group photos. Anyway, just because of where you dig makes your stories and digs quite unique.

We only get a 1850's pit, give or take 10 years, every now and then. I found a privy next to a dug one last week and it only yielded a couple of common OP meds. One embossed and the other was a puff. The last time I dug some OPs was quite a while ago. Of course, this was just before dark. We dig every other day some weeks around here. We also do all kinds of digging (privies, dumps, ice houses, etc.). My partner has many sites and some that are considered 'dumps', but we will move A LOT of dirt just to get to the bottles. These so called dumps may have 10 foot or more of a cap with no signs of bottles from the surface. We probe just like you would do for a privy. Lately, I've been overwhelmed with finds and this is only my share.

I will reply to your email later tonight. I will also try to add a thread here with some of us in the hole digging. Some of the pictures will be featured on the cover of this month's
newsletter I now edit locally, called The Digger.

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Hello again Brandon,
Thanks a lot for the information. I asked my uncle where I could get a book on the trails and he happen to have one. So I'm gonna go check that out tomorrow. Hopefully I get lucky and find a milk or soda bottle. I also forgot to complement you on your bottles. I really like looking at finds from other people's digs. It's almost as exciting as being there. Also I went downtown today and happen to find another milk bottle I liked in an antique shop. I have it packed already but I believe it is a Honolulu Dairy Association. (1/2 pint) I only paid $3.00 so I figured it was worth that. That's it for now. Thanks again!

Bryan

CanadianBoy

Reaction score
Hey'nice pics and stories,I guess you guys and gals across the pond don't have much of a problem with the WHITE stuff we get up here in Central Canada.
Although we're starting to get some warmer temps,so its time to bring out the old maps and start planing.
I was out 2 days ago to the site of an abandoned town,found a few interesting spots,
still lots of frost in the ground though.
My wife bought another business,and it involves welding and heavy wire,so Snakeboy and I have a source for probes.
Course if my wife keeps buying businesses I just ain't gonna have time for bottles.

Db83812.jpg

Attachments

• Db83812.jpg
    Db83812.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 78

portland med. man

Reaction score
bet you didn`t go down to the beach and try to pick up some of those bikini mama`s looking like a worm , nice finds keep diggin cant wait till all the snow melts so i can dig all my dormit dumps. we have some nice milks in maine and they fetch some go money if your willing to part with them ijust dug a killa babyface i got a post in this thread i think. peace , portland med. man

leebran20

Reaction score
Nope, definitely don't have to deal with the snow at all on our digs, but we do get a lot of rain in the areas I tend to dig. This helps of course, as do the wild pigs. We don't have snakes, but we have some honking centipedes that actually like to hang out in the dump and are the other main cause of dancing around the hole besides finding a good bottle.

PMM: I love your and your partners' digging threads; honestly, they -- including yours which I saw on the killer Babyface -- are what inspired me to start posting again. I had gone dormant for a while in posting and even checking because I was overwhelmed with work, and now that I have more time I saw you and your friends had joined. Welcome addition, man. I love this kind of stuff. Even with the work before, I was of course still digging a couple times a month. Priorites, always.

Here's a pic that's funny and interesting. Just about 20 yards from where we found the tiger whiskey pit, we found a dump with probably 500 or so license plates ranging from 1950-70s. Almost all of them were from Arizona and then some were also Oklahoma, Texas. Only a couple Hawaii ones -- go figure that one out way back in a Honolulu valley. I'm sure the actual story of how they got back there would be a great one. This many plates are damn heavy to carry, btw -- at least that's what my partner told me. Heh, heh.

Take care guys.[:D]

Ki19447.jpg

Attachments

• Ki19447.jpg
    Ki19447.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 92

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem