Hell awaits me...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Sodasandbeers

Reaction score
How do you know it is not a rare one? Have you seen it before?

You'll have to send me the specifics. What letters are on the base?

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Sodasandbeers

How do you know it is not a rare one? Have you seen it before?

You'll have to send me the specifics. What letters are on the base?

Don't you think I'm getting to it? Of course I'm going to send you the statistics! [:D] I think I'll take a picture that shows the embossing better soon. It's got "KARL HUTTER/ II N/ NEW YORK" on the base, in the usual configuration. 9.25" tall, base diameter 2.75"... Nothing too out of the ordinary.

I have actually seen one. At the second bottle show I went to, when I decided to collect Montclair bottles, I saw one that I think I remember was shorter than this one. It had a nasty lip chip, so I passed on it for $5. I wouldn't have done that now, but whatever, live and learn... Also, in the thread I made about that show, a random member who hasn't posted since then posted a little "guide" of the bottles from Montclair. The Kanouse bottles are listed as "mostly common". The information is mostly unsubstantiated, but it listed the Greasons as "mostly common", which I have confirmed by digging so many of them... [:D]

Sodasandbeers

Reaction score
Connor thanks I was just plugging in updates from this site for my next update. Are Franklin and Verona near you? I saw that there are beer bottlers there also.

madman

Reaction score
GREAT FINDS! YOU DONT KNOW HOW GOOD YOU HAVE IT! LOVE THE FOOD JAR ALSO!

epackage

Reaction score
Nice Kanouse Connor, he may also be related to the Dover Kanouses....[8D]

carobran

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wheelah23

With school starting on Tuesday, I am trying to get in some last minute digging... [:D]

I went digging today with Rob, who is apparently a good luck charm! I haven't found any good locals in the past few digs, so I was getting a little discouraged. But lo and behold, when I dug with him, a local blob popped out that I didn't have! It's a nice O. Kanouse blob from Montclair. Orlin Kanouse's the name, bottling's his game... [:D] Probably related to the Kanouse brothers in Oakland, but that's for another discussion. He was in business from 1890 to 1895, according to Tod's directory listings.

I got excited about this bottle before I even dug it, because it came out base first, and I could tell it was a blob because it had Karl Hutter on it. I got even more excited as more of it got revealed, and I could see it had TBNTBS on the back, in the configuration peculiar to the late 1880's, early 1890's blobs. Then my heart skipped a beat when I saw the embossing! It's not a particularly rare bottle, I think, but it's certainly a nice one, with the applied blob and strange, crude swirls in the glass. I knew it was mint when I dug it, because it came out of the rusty wet "bottle layer". Sure enough, I cleaned it off at home, and it's got no damage or stain! Can't ask for much more. Except that it's colored, or has a picture embossed... [8D] Anyway, I was very happy with it. The embossing's a tad weaker than the post 1895 bottles, because there were usually no mold vent marks used before then...

quote] your just srating tomorrow

rockbot

Reaction score
That is an interesting piece wheel. Usually "registered" is found on toc stuff. " bottle not sold" on earlier bottles. Definitely applied top though. Nice!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
There's a bunch of things about the bottle that can help in dating it and others. For one, Karl Hutter used different mold marks at different times. The base notation is in the circular formation on this one, whereas in a bottle from 1895-1896, it is in straight lines on the base. That bottle and this one have an applied top. There's two other bottles from another Montclair firm which have applied tops as well, and the earlier type configuration of TBNTBS on the back, but the bases have the straight line base embossing. Now obviously these factors aren't rules, but at least they help me date blobs from around here when I have no background on the company.

Kanouse obviously started using "Registered" earlier than other bottlers. He was in business 1890 to 1895, so that's a bit earlier than the usual late 1890's use of the term.

I dug another variant yesterday without the "Registered", but the base embossing was different too... It's soaking in the acid, but I know it has a lip chip, so I think I'll leave it for a while... [8D]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen