Hello...I'm new and hoping to find some answers...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ThorninmyHeart

Reaction score
Hello to all...[:)][:)][:)]

My name is Kathie, and I am new here. I found this site when looking for answers about several old bottles I have.

Please allow me to give you all a little history of who I am and why I here...

I am a 43 year old mom of three, ages 25, 18, and 16, and been married for 20 years.

In the early years I collected various diferent antique bottles, jars, and cans to decorate our home with. I picked these up at Estate Sales, Garage Sales, as well as getting some of them from bunches of stuff my dad had held onto over the years. (He was born in 1928 and grew up on a ranch in Grangeville, Idaho).

Now that we are 1 year away from being "empty-nesters" when our son graduates from high school and goes off to college, we are beginning to look at downsizing, selling the house and buying a condo. YEAH!!! [:)][:)][:)]

Just recently our son received a letter from The Oregon Ambassadors of Music, (we live in Oregon), and he was personally selected along with approimately 300 other students from various high school music programs through out our state to represent Oregon on a 7 country 16 day concert tour of Europe in July of '09. The students who were invited to be a part of this Honor Choir/Band were hand chosen by their high school choir or band directors based on musicianship, and character.

Each student is responsible for raising their own funds, so we are pulling out all the stops and doing whatever we can to make this happen for him, as it is definately the opportunity if a lifetime. So, since we are looking at downsizing in a year, I have decided to rid myself of all of my bottles, jars, cans, and various other antique items I have aquired over the years, since when we move I will be redecorating everything anyway.

What I am specifically looking for is if anyone knows of any collectors who may be looking for what I have. I can provide pictures and details of the items, as well as any history I may have on the item. I have considered e-bay, as we do a lot of buying and selling on there, but e-bay can be a bit of a crap shoot when you put something up for auction...sometimes things can sit there for 7-10 days and not sell, then you are still stuck paying the e-bay fees.

I have a green glass Coke bottle...Bend, OR, a 10 oz. embossed Pepsi bottle, No Deposit No Return. a couple of Bireley's 6 3/4 oz. bottles, a variety of green glass Mason jars, an embossed brown glass Purex bottle, a green glass embossed Scott's Emulsion Cod Liver Oil with Lime and Soda with the man carrying the fish, along with some unmarked clear and amber bottles of different shapes, and one is a small amber bottle shaped like a jug. Plus several different cans and pieces of enamel ware.

I know I am going out on a limb here, but I do not really know where to start. I have done some research on pricing, but I need to find people who are interested. Any help anyone can offer will be appreciated. We have an established PayPal account and do all of our online transactions though PayPal only. [:)][:)][:)]

Thank you so much, [:)][:)][:)]

Kathie

glass man

Reaction score
JUST FROM WHAT YOU HAVE DESCRIBED THE BOTTLES ARE COMMON AND NOT WORTH A LOT ,BUT SOME YOU DID NOT SAY A LOT ABOUT ,SUCH AS A BROWN BOTTLE THAT LOOKS LIKE A JUG .SHOW PICTURES OF ALL IF YOU CAN !JAMIE I KNOW YOU ARE PROUD OF YOUR SON AND WITH GOOD REASON!

ThorninmyHeart

Reaction score
Hi Glass Man,

Thank you for your reply...yes, I figured from the looking around I have done that individually they are not worth much, but for us that is not the point. We figured that even if they were all worth just a little bit, it would all add up, and then that added with all of our other fundraising ideas, plus what we all contribute from our jobs, (our son Tim turned 16 today, and has already applied at Albertson's for a Courtesy Clerk position, we are praying he gets the job), and hopefully sponsorships from family and friends it will all add up.

We have spent many years while raising our kids doing fundraisers of all kinds from candy bars for soccer, popcorn and pizza cards for Cub and Boy Scouts, to rummage sales, raffles, and car washes for the church Youth Group, it seems like we've done it all. This will be our last one, and the biggest one to date, so we are determined to make this happen for him.

I just started taking all of the bottles, jars, cans and what not down from the shelves tonight...they still need to be washed as they are covered with dust. I will take pix. of them in the next day or two and get them posted so folks can see what all I have. I also have several Vintage 1 lb. coffee cans circa 1940's-50's...the kind that you needed they key to open. My dad kept nuts and bolts in them for years in his shop, until I convinced him to use plastic containers instead and give them to me. Those may go on e-bay as I am seeing several folks bidding on cans other folks are selling that I also have.

I will let you know when the pix. are uploaded...

Thank you so much for your reply.

Kathie

cordilleran

Reaction score
Somewhere in the Great American Southwest
Dear Thorninmyheart:

You are blessed in many ways with a wonderful family despite the (expected) bumps and bruises along the pathway. Everything you have material-wise has someone somewhere wishing to acquire. E-bay generally is a crapshoot and geared toward buyers rather than sellers. If you have a large volume of material you wish to dispose of, I suspect E-bay is the proper route. Alternatively, you might try your local antiques dealers. Garnering funds for college can be a daunting task. Nevertheless, there are multitudinous scholarships available for deserving students of which there are four criteria: financial need, major study specificity, gender,ethnicity and organizational affiliation and academic merit. Seeking and securing scholarships is time-consuming in its own right, but can become a self-sustaining enterprise. Conceivably, a scholar can pay for his own education solely through the paper chase of scholarships. What's more, it looks favorably on the scholar's resume once he or she graduates and is looking for employment. Point to ponder. Employers are most attuned to graduates who not only excel academically, but possess proven leadership skills in extracuriccular collegiate activities such as academic societies, student government, forensics (competitive collegiate speaking tournaments) and serving on the collegiate newspaper staff. As an employer I am more concerned not with perfect academic scores but with effective social interaction. The ability to amalgamate rather than diffuse collective workplace talent is an asset to any organization as a whole and well worth any employer's prudent consideration sseking a capable candidate.

LC

Reaction score
Pertaining to the bottles you have mentioned, I believe Glass Man is correct in stating that they are not worth much money. On the other hand, pertaining to the vintage coffee tins, there are some that are worth quite a bit of money indeed, and are well worth taking the time to do some searching on. A completed auction search on coffee tins on eBay would be a good place to check on prices. You can go to your local library, and ask for price guide books on coffee tins as well. If they do not have any on hand, they can borrow such books from other libtaries to fill your needs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4