HELP!! A real dump to dig??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Nu_B_2_bottles

Reaction score
An old timer turned me on to his digging spot from about 20 years ago. He talked about a dozen mounds of which he had dug about three. He seemed to think that the bottles he found dated in the 20s and 30s. As I followed the hand drawn map he made me for me it was not long befor I started finding glass pieces in the roadway. Man, what beautiful chips, cobalt blue, green, and even one that was an opalescent canary color (really lit up under the blacklight on this one!). DINOMYTE! Well, maybe not so fast. Back to the truck and grab the shovel.....off into the three foot deep ditch next to the roadway. Huge clumps of glass, all melted and mangeled but all the different colors of the rainbow. Both sides of the ditch. So, I shot up the 12 foot high hill across the ditch from the spot in the roadway. A quick surface search yielded about 8 beer bottles, an RC Cola bottle, a one quart whiskey bottle, a flask, and a small perfume bottle (just a guess because of the tiny size. Well it would appear from the date on these surface bottles that they were produced around 1967 or so. The mound is grown over with very heavy vegitation so I am figuring that what I have relocated is actually an old dump. It is huge. Now I am open to suggestions on what next. To current for any valuable bottles??? Would all of the old stuff at the base of this 14 foot hill (the really old stuff for this dump) be melted??? Anyone with experience along this type of scenario I would really appreciate your input.

DIGGER DAVE

Reaction score
Hey Newby, I just posted this elaborate reply but got timed out. Basically it said warmest of welcomes to the forum and to start from the bottom of the ditch because that is where the oldest stuff is, and you wont bury it with the soil from the top part. Dont worry about the broken stuff as that is just part of the heartache of this hobby !! Once again WELCOME !!!

Nu_B_2_bottles

Reaction score
Thanks Diggerdave,
You were 100% correct. I started at the bottom of the ditch and there I found the oldest stuff.........dirt..........lol. Lots of it to! Anyway it did make sense so I gave it a shot. Back on the sides of the ditch everthing seemed to be large clumps of molton material made up of glass, metal etc. Digging was extremely tough and without any positive results. Did another surface search scouting the outer side of the landfill. Again many bottles from the 60s, of special interest to me were the clear, embossed Coke Cola, Diet-Rite, and Pepsi bottles, and a green embossed 7-Up bottle. Cobalt blue Noxema and Phillips Milk of Magnesia Tablets bottles, and a small Avon bottle. Even if the trip was not profitable it was enjoyable.........and I might of lost 5 pounds or so to. I do appreciate your input though, I look at it that if I would not of gone back and tried I might of always regretted it. Hoping for a better hole for my second dig. Thanks again for the kind words and the advice.

Nu_B_2_bottles

Reaction score
OK...bout to try this fairly new dump again. Armed with a little more information this time though. The ole timer said that when he went out there it was bout 12 mounds. Today it is all one with a dirt retaining wall round it. Stuff on top seems 60s, 50s at latest....some old Fire king Jadite pieces found. Also want to use a bottle probe this time. I have seen some really neat ones on this site that have inspired me to make my own. Granted it ain't no privy but the idea of being able to add an extension or two made me want to make one instead of buying a ready made 3 or 4' probe. Question though.....is there a certain coupling method that should be used so that i do not lose the sound effect?? Gonna do the 1" galvanized handle. Still not sure about the tip. Ball bearing or slightly pointed 12" round stock have been suggested. Any more??.........Thanks!

DIGGER DAVE

Reaction score
As long as your probe is welded it will transfer the most sound. People differ on the handle. Some like a solid piece as it adds some weight and ease to the driving into the ground. I prefer a hollow handle because it seems to amplify the sounds from below.Dont give up the site yet unless you have somewhere more promising. Sounds to me like the landscape has changed since the old timers diggin days. Maybe capped with some newer stuff. Just means you have to go deeper and the probe should help !! Good luck and posts some pics when you can so we can be jealous !!!

capsoda

Reaction score
Stainless pipe actually give the best resonance, steel next. I use bare hands to push my probe so I would never use galv pipe, it can flake and cut you and it is rough on the hands. Welding galv aint to cool either.

Nu_B_2_bottles

Reaction score
Really, really appreciate the help. Galvanized is out! Glad I asked before I made it. Sounds like I would do much better to make the first probe all welded, probably 3-4', coupled probe sounds only appropriate if this one easily bottomed out. Question now is the tip. Two suggestions gathered elsewhere were a ball bearing bigger around than the probe or a 12" x 1" round stock piece that is to be ground to a slightly pointed surface?? In your opinion.....the best tip?? Thanks!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson