Help from Oz...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bearswede

Reaction score
Hey down-under folk...

What's the skinny on "Dr. Bailey's Sarsaparilla"? How many different versions are there? One on ebay is embossed as above, but a listing I found has in addition, "Elliot Bros. & Co. Brisbane" on it...

Thanks,

Ron

IRISH

Reaction score
Can't say I've seen one with Elliot Bros on it, I'll ask a couple of people who should know and post the results [;)] .

Dirranbandi

Reaction score
G'day

Elliott Bros were established in Sydney in 1859 and later set up a branch in Brisbane in 1877 - they were leaders in the Australian pharmaceutical field, producing a range of their own products as well as distributing other products such as Sarsaparilla and Bitters.

The Elliott Bros Dr Bailey's bottle is embossed on the shoulder and is believed to originate from the Brisbane branch as most have been found in Brisbane - there are about 15-20 known so a fairly scarce bottle.

I believe the original Dr Bailey's originates from Melbourne, so perhaps Elliott Bros acquired the distribution rights for Queensland (and NSW?).

Cheers,

Dirranbandi

bearswede

Reaction score
Thanks Irish and Des...

Great information!!!

I kind of like the looks of the plain ol' Bailey's... What're they going for down there?

Ron

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal