Help identify the age and thechnology of macking

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dgaliti

Reaction score
Help identify the age and the way was making.Thank you[attachment=20140303_205759.jpg]

Attachments

• bc73140ec342409e9cbde4493428cce4.jpg
    bc73140ec342409e9cbde4493428cce4.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 62

andy volkerts

Reaction score
That nice applied top leads me to believe that bottle was made earlier than 1900, more like 1870 or so, but the turn mold process is correct. would be nice to see the bottoms of same.........

botlguy

Reaction score
I don't have the time or energy right now but I believe the poster wants a more basic education of how these bottles were made. "Turn Mold" really doesn't tell her a lot, most of us know what that means, but I doubt that Diana does. Please be more specific for her. Not scolding here, just trying to help out.

sunrunner

Reaction score
in the days of handblown glass,hot glass was gathered on a blow pipe,then put in to a moled. these moleds were ether two or three parts thay were hinged so the glass blower cud get the bottle out.now for the bottle not to have a seem, in a two part moled ,the blower woud add some past so they cud spin the hot bottle in the mold so no seams wood show.this was a trened from 1880s to 1920 or so.hows that?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Sunrunner has got it. When I stated "right around 1900" I was implying a 20 year give or take.I just figured the term "turn mold" (using quotes) would be an easier search than I was prepared to write at that early hour also.There are many thoughts on it and some are probably incorrect. THIS is probably the best.I have seen some photos on here that are base embossed but body turned. The base was obviously hinged or detachable for those. I'd like a closer look in person for those.Many other people have other thinking but I didn't want to confuse things more.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
The turn mold was painted inside the cavity, and the side wall usually had a mild taper to it so the bottle could be lifted out of the mold. The shoulder was shaped before the lift and the neck was applied and tooled after the blow pipe was removed. A mystery to me when you find one that wasn't empontilled. RED M.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I don't think they were turn molded. I have a turn molded bottle that had an embossed botom, but the embossing was really messed up. Also, there would be twist vertical lines in the glass under the finish. This type of finish doesn't usually occur on a turn mold bottle. The most common finish would be an applied and tooled finish. Also they didn't indicate if there were any patterns of turn on the glass. There should be some clue of them on the side wall. Also, the body of most turn molded bottles, will be tapered at least 1/8" to a 1/4" in the diameter of the main body, to aid the release of the product, out of the mold. RED Matthews.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well I just ended up back on this showing thread. And after looking the pictures over again, I think the sides are tapered for the turn in the mold function to reduce the mold seams showing. I would have to see the neck glass, under the tooled finishes, to see if there were vertical stress lines in the glass, below the necks. I am currently working on blog for my home page - regarding this practice. The SHA work of Bill Lindsey's information covers a lot of the process explanation. Nice bottles that I would like to have in my collection. RED Matthews

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles